Scheduled scrub error?

Hi

I’m on 3.9.2-48 stable, and I’ve been trying to schedule a scrub, however, it just comes back with status of ‘error’ - can you let me know how to get further detail and hopefully diagnose/sort the issue please?

The share is a 500Gb raid1 share, with snapshots - it is currently SMBMounted onto a linux machine - however, given that I can happily read the share from my windows machine at the same time, I wouldn’t have thought it would have an issue with that.

Cheers

Carl.

@carl Hello again.

I’d look first at the rockstor.log file ie:

less /opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log 

The Web-UI should also give you access to this via:

System - Logs Manager - Rockstor Logs

Hopefully you should find some clue in there.

Also worth looking at the system log for the times when the error occurs. I.e.

journalctl

Noteworthy is that our Web-UI log manager rather strangely overlooked the main system log. We can circle back around to that one once someone with the appropriate skills finds themselves free to take a look at that.

And do paste what might seem interesting / related as then others can chip in and help out.

Yes one can scrub and even change the raid levels on a pool while it is in use. So no worries there.

Hope that helps.

Hi

Had a look at rockstor.log - spotted:

[11/May/2019 09:13:46] ERROR [system.osi:119] non-zero code(1) returned by command: [’/usr/sbin/btrfs’, ‘qgroup’, ‘show’, ‘/mnt2/Rockstor_Rockons/Rockstor_Rockons_Share’]. output: [’’] error: [“ERROR: can’t list qgroups: quotas not enabled”, ‘’]
[11/May/2019 09:14:49] ERROR [system.osi:119] non-zero code(1) returned by command: [’/usr/sbin/btrfs’, ‘qgroup’, ‘show’, ‘/mnt2/Rockstor_Rockons/Rockstor_Rockons_Share’]. output: [’’] error: [“ERROR: can’t list qgroups: quotas not enabled”, ‘’]
[11/May/2019 09:15:02] ERROR [scripts.scheduled_tasks.pool_scrub:80] Failed to start scrub at pools/Pictures/scrub
[11/May/2019 09:15:02] ERROR [scripts.scheduled_tasks.pool_scrub:41] Failed to get scrub status at pools/Pictures/scrub/status
[11/May/2019 09:15:52] ERROR [system.osi:119] non-zero code(1) returned by command: [’/usr/sbin/btrfs’, ‘qgroup’, ‘show’, ‘/mnt2/Rockstor_Rockons/Rockstor_Rockons_Share’]. output: [’’] error: [“ERROR: can’t list qgroups: quotas not enabled”, ‘’]
[11/May/2019 09:16:56] ERROR [system.osi:119] non-zero code(1) returned by command: [’/usr/sbin/btrfs’, ‘qgroup’, ‘show’, ‘/mnt2/Rockstor_Rockons/Rockstor_Rockons_Share’]. output: [’’] error: [“ERROR: can’t list qgroups: quotas not enabled”, ‘’]
[

There’s a lot of errors of the ‘system.osi:119’ type… - around about every minute?

Interesting enough, I was able to kick off a manual scrub, and this worked (and found four errors on disk… which I’m now investigating…)

Cheers

Carl.

For info, I’ve restarted the server, and also the VMWare host and not got the messages at the moment - I’ll keep an eye out and see what messages appear… its possible that some of the messages appeared after the manual scrub located errors.

Cheers

Carl

@carl Thanks for the update.

Re:

Rockstor still considers quotas disabled as an ‘error’ state as it results in zero share size reporting, but at least for the time being it is not infrequently required to be disabled for practical purposes.

As per you scheduled scrub issue I’d see how it goes to get more info if possible and if the problem persists then try deleting and re-creating the schedule. We had a while back some breaking, but unavoidable, api changes so the stored info within a prior to change scheduled task can end up being nonsense. Hence the delete task, recreate task advice if it doesn’t end up working ‘as is’ for you.

Hope the helps.