SMB Shares 'hanging'?

you can switch to the testing channel for now. Once the stable release is announced and out, you can switch back to the stable channel.

1 Like

Hi @Flox

My network topology is quite simple and nothing has changed in that front.

VDSL Gateway modem ā†’ OPNSense router (dhcp server) ā†’ pihole (local dns server) ā†’ LAN

Rockstor and everything else I am troubleshooting, is connected via Ethernet cat5e cable.

1 Like

Are you connecting to the SMB shares with Rockstorā€™s IP address or the Rockstor servername?

If with servername, I found using the wsdd (web service discovery service) Rockon helpful in keeping the Rockstor appliance visible across the network for windows-based machines. Again, would not explain why you had no issues with the CentOS version of Rockstor ā€¦

I have tried both (hostname & IP) and it does not make a difference.
Currently I am testing the ā€œLocal DNS recordsā€ found in pi-hole where I added some of my local machines with static ips.

I 'll let you know how it goes.

How will I be informed that the stable release is out in order to switch back to stable channel updates?

Isnā€™t this a bit risky in a way that if I donā€™t catch up on the news in time my server may get updates from the testing channel?

@Sky12016 yes, Iā€™m curious whether pi-hole will help in this regard.

There will be an announcement on the forums when the next stable release comes out, so you should see this very quickly. Once thatā€™s out, it will take at least a couple of week for the test channel to be updated againā€¦

But since that is probably fairly imminent you can continue to live with the one error message there if you donā€™t want to keep track of the announcement/switching, etc.

2 Likes

Hello people!

In case anyone stumbles upon this post; my problem is finally solved.
I did add the rockstor machine hostname into piholeā€™s local dns records, but apart from that I found out that one of my windows machines had a rockstor server path mapped as a network drive using the old hostname! When I removed that everything is working as it should!
I am not sure whether other windows machines (without using the old hostname) should have been impacted by that but judging from the result I am leaning towards yes.

So that is that! The hostname change from the old to the new Rockstor installation was the culprit.

Thank you all for bearing with me.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Ahh, Thatā€™s happen with Pihole issuesā€¦ I never use thoseā€¦ In fact I have Windows Servers (2 of them) and WIndows PC and Mac, I have no trouble since 6 monthā€¦ Little thing need tweaking day by dayā€¦

ATG2004

Hi @atg2004.

Canā€™t say I agree. My pihole has been rock solid for 3 years running!
Only updating it whenever I rememberā€¦

if the host wasnt in pi-hole the windows machines were probably using multicast dns, which is not that reliable or predictable, makes perfect sense.