[SOLVED] Error running a command. cmd = ['/bin/mount', '-t', 'btrfs', '-o', 'subvol=share', '/dev/disk/by-id/sdb', '/mnt2/share']. rc = 32. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['mount: special device /dev/disk/by-id/sdb does not exist', '']

Running 3.8.14.11 and when I go to start SAMBA I get the following error, can anyone figure out what is wrong?

Error running a command. cmd = [’/bin/mount’, ‘-t’, ‘btrfs’, ‘-o’, ‘subvol=share’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/sdb’, ‘/mnt2/share’]. rc = 32. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘mount: special device /dev/disk/by-id/sdb does not exist’, ‘’]

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/samba.py”, line 150, in post
mount_share(share, mnt_pt)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 286, in mount_share
return run_command(mnt_cmd)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 104, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [’/bin/mount’, ‘-t’, ‘btrfs’, ‘-o’, ‘subvol=share’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/sdb’, ‘/mnt2/share’]. rc = 32. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘mount: special device /dev/disk/by-id/sdb does not exist’, ‘’]

@rockstoruser24 Hello again. Could you send a screen grab of your Storage - Disks page as this looks like you are trying to use a disk with unreliable serial info which means it has no by-id name which in turn leads to this inelegant corner case?

It is known that we need to improve on handling this but the root cause may still be a device serial issue so hence the screen grab request so we can take it from there.

Hope that helps.

If it helps, this is running on top of vSphere

Hi @rockstoruser24 and @phillxnet,
had similar problem over Proxmox: you just need to add a “fake serial” to your disks

Flyer

Thanks for the idea @Flyer !

All I did was add this to the vmx: disk.EnableUUID=“true”

turned it back on and it worked!

1 Like