[SOLVED] openSUSE Tumbleweed - RockOn Service failing to start

Hi,
wanted to share something that took me a few days to figure out … following the instructions on how to build a test instance of Rockstor on openSUSE (Built on openSUSE dev notes and status), I got a persistent failure of the RockOn Service. It would always fail.

I finally found, that the docker service installation came with a json config file at /etc/docker/daemon.json that contained a few entries … after backing that file up and removing it, the RockOn service finally started without exiting.

I tested the fix first in Terminal by running:
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart docker.service

I suppose, this could have happened because I didn’t use the exact distro that was recommended. But, in any case, the final fix was easy, but to save some other noob from banging their head against the wall, I figured I’d post it here.

2 Likes

Hi @Hooverdan, nice work tracking back the problem and thanks for sharing your workaround.

You are entirely right about the cause of the problem and your workaround. It’s actually something that @phillxnet had reported on the Github repo with a similar workaround. A proper fix still needs to be implemented but as he mentioned, it is one those things that can be rather tricky to deal with properly when one needs to keep compatibility with Leap15.1, Tumbleweed, and CentOS (Leap15.1 is not affected by this problem).

On a side note:

This is essentially what configuring the Rock-on service from the web-UI (System > Services) and toggling it ON/OFF does in case one prefers to do it that way.

Cheers, and thanks again for sharing your workaround!

1 Like

Oops, should have checked over there, too. Thanks for tying it all together!