Steam Cache rockon in rockstor?

Hello! A newbie networker hobbyist and my first post on here forums. I would like to see some create a Steam Cache rock-on or giving me pointers how to create a rock-on to metastore. Would be cool to download and archive you game library by faster speeds than broadband connection. There is a github and docker page for this project. Docker Hub info and GitHub page
I wonder if this could be doable?

I made them some time ago. The only issue with it is that there is (afaik) no way to get each container on it’s own ip so you can only cache one service unless you set up the others from the command line.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @HBDK!

I’m currently in the middle of a rework of rock-ons networking so I would be curious to know a little bit more about what was blocking these to fully work as rock-ons. I’m not familiar with how steamcache works, but it will soon be possible to place any rock-on (s) of interest in the same docker network, allowing for automatic DNS connection and custom ip-range for all containers under this network.
Although I do not have the option of specifying a specific IP for each container (yet, at least), it may be possible to implement it if it proves useful for these situations.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, and thanks again for sharing all your other rock-ons!

1 Like

Hi Flox cool to see that you are still at it with the rock-ons.

the way this thing works is that it you spin up a dns that will return the ip of a local machine for all requests for static files like updates and installers from services like steam, uplay, battlenet, etc. at the machine you point the dns at you have a cache running (ningx) but the issue is that the cache have to use port 80 and for some reason you need to spin up a cache for each service so for this to work you need to have one ip address (that other machines on the network can reach) for each service you want to cache.

they have since stopped working on this and made a monolithic version that afaik runs everything in one container. i might make a rock-on for the new version later today or to morrow.

but i still think that either having the option to bind a container to a specific interface or create an alias (multiply ips on the same interface) and binding to could be a usefull thing since some rock-ons like UMNS needs to use 80 and 443.

Yes, although time has been very difficult to find for the past few weeks, I’ve been working on implementing docker networking for a little while now. I have the main mechanisms working, but still need to finish some important UI refinements (see the Github root issue and its links therein if you’re interested–your feedback would be more than appreciated).

That seems to be a nice simplified solution if that can be used for your rock-on. I’m wondering about potential conflict(s) with other rock-ons running their own dns server like pi-hole, however, but maybe a clear warning to the user may help (if there is such a risk).

Thanks for the feedback… I currently have most options for docker networks supported, so that may help this case. You can see more details of what I currently support in the corresponding issue below:
https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/issues/2009

@nasrocket, if you want to give @HBDK’s rock-ons files a try, you can do so using the instructions by @phillxnet linked below:

Let us know how it goes if you decide to give it a try!

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi

i finally found some time to create a new rockon for the new monolithic cache and i think it works.
i’m currently downloading a game to test it and so far steam is downloading with 25MB/s in stead of the normal 50, so i think that means it’s doing something. edit. the dns server is doing it’s thing but for some reason my pc won’t switch to use it as a dns server. but i don’t see any reason why the rest wouldn’t work.edit2: it’s all working.

you just need to run both the steamcache-dns.json and monolithic-cache.json

i’m currently running linux so it’s a bit hard for me to test all the services so any feedback would be greatly appropriated.

Thanks a lot for your work and sharing it! I unfortunately won’t have time to have a look at it until this weekend because of work, but I’ll do my best to give it a try, it seems like a useful addition!

No problem… i might have a look at the sniproxy as well while I’m at it.
I managed to reach 107 MB/s reinstalling Witcher 2 (using 10G so Ethernet was not the limit here) yesterday so it can provide a good boost when you need to install the same game on multiple machines…

@nasrocket if you need it I could make a short guide showing how to get it working.

2 Likes

A short steamcache guide would be highly appreciated and needed :slight_smile:
Ps. Pardon for reviving such an old thread and being away for a way too long.

Lol, i haven’t looked at steamcache in years.

if you feel like playing with it i would probably head over to https://lancache.net/ they have a guide.
it won’t be using rockons so yeah so be prepared to learn a little about docker compose… :wink:

i won’t make or update any rockons since i no longer use them at all, i find that they mostly just makes everything harder to run and maintain.

Understandable, steamcache fits like a glove in my use case. Slow 4G-ISP :grinning:

Yeah docker compose looks like a bit simpler as structure-wise than writing cli .jsons.

I’ll tinker with it, easier now after opensuse switch.