Supermicro based Rockstor in Fractal Define R5 case, pics included

Well the case came today that I have been waiting on to button this build up, so here are the build details now that everything is complete… for now of course because nothing ever stays the same long with me.

Fractal Design Define R5 Case
Supermicro Motherboard Micro ATX DDR4 LGA 1151 X11SSL-CF system board
Intel Xeon Processor E3-1275 v5
2 x Supermicro 8GB DDR4 2133 ECC UDIMM
Corsair RM850 80PLUS Gold certified power supply
HP NC552SFP 10Gb 2-port Ethernet Server Adapter
2 x Samsung 850 EVO Series 2TB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
8 x H3U30006472S Hitachi 3TB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drives from an old NAS box

The 2 Samsung SSD’s are attached to the onboard SATA controller, Raid 1 pool
The 8 Hitachi drives are attached to the onboard LSI3008 controller, Raid 10 pool
Rockstor is installed on a 32Gb USB 3 thumb drive plugged into the internal USB 3 port on the board
I swapped out the Fractal fans for 2 Noctua fans up front and a Corsair in the back.

I need to adjust fan settings in the IMPI of the board as it think the Noctua fans are stalling when they are not and ramps all 3 up to 100% then back down to normal about every 10 seconds

Other than the fan issue I am extremely happy with this build. The Fractal case was incredibly easy to work with and the 3TB drives are all mounted using rubber grommets, you don’t even hear them running. The case is modular so you can rearrange drive bays as you see fit.

2 Likes

Nice build! And also +1 for the FD case, I used one (a cheaper Core 1000) to house my desktop rig, and they sure make wonderful cases. I hope you get your fan issue sorted!

Thanks, its in the basement office so I just turned the fans to full in the IPMI until I get a chance to work on it. They really do make a great case. Wishing I had that on my desk instead of this Corsair, the Corsair is a great case too but FD rocks lol