Tape baçkup of data

I use rockstor volumes for backing up my other machines.
On the Rockstor server I have an Ultrium tape drive which I would like to backup my backups to.
Is there a rock-on to do this?

@dustyp Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Not as far as I’m aware. But this would be a really nice feature. I’ve thought of it myself but only have the now rather dated dat4 hardware but I was considering getting an LTO type drive. What would you say is the ‘sweat spot’ for second hand LTO drives and availability / capacity of tapes.

the LTO-8 (2017) holds 12TB per tape.

LTO-6 looks to be nice as the oldest with presumably native compression capability.
Max compressed speed 400 MB/s with 4.5 hours for a 2.5 TB whole tape. Still that’s a little small for an entire pool but more practically needs to only serve a subvol or two.

But the later LTO drives still look to be really quite expensive, even LTO-4 drives!!

I’d actually rather see this capability built into Rockstor but yes a Rock-on is likely to be able to serve this need quicker.

Out of interest, what does your tape drive show up as device wise ‘/dev/nst0’ maybe?

Also we do seem to be missing a solid backup rock-on: with my favourite proposal currently being:

https://github.com/rockstor/rockon-registry/issues/94

And given the requirement to manage / catalogue tapes I think it best if we try and go for a full blown database driven backup system.

And according the the not entirely unbiased:

Tape, at least in compressed capacity sold, is not on the way out.

"The report showed a record 108,457 petabytes (PB) of total tape capacity (compressed) shipped in 2017, an increase of 12.9 percent over the previous year. "

This is best to use the backup system and the rockstor is best to use i think. this server provides access from anywhere.data recovery dubai i have previously used and it also providing the same things. Many user not aware abouit rockstor but its nice to use.