Test Automation for rockstor-core Pull Requests

In order to better help the team do more with less, it is my opinion that an automated test run would be beneficial.

Unfortunately, due to being an OS manager with a web UI, there are strong ties to the underlying OS that negate simply “running the tests” on anything but a full OpenSuSE system, which is not the most popular offering in cloud Linux land (shocking!).

In the PR where I initially started the discussion ( https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/pull/2631 ) I found that while one could use Linode instances as GitHub self-hosted runners, the costs for doing so were a “cost that we can’t currently shoulder.” - @phillxnet

Phil also mentioned they “do have self hosting via a bunch of in-house VM’s that we build the rpms on - and all tests are run during that process”, and those certainly could be used as GitHub runners, but that wasn’t brought up as a counter-solution, so they may be at full capacity, or already incurring expenses, other otherwise.

So, this is a call to the community to see if anyone knows of an inexpensive/free option for hosting some OpenSuSE VMs that could be used for automated PR testing of Rockstor.

…Bueller? Bueller?

1 Like