Trying to install Rockstor 5

Gentlemen, please. I’m Carlos, from Brazil. I’m installing a NAS with Rockstor 5.0.9.
I want users to be authenticated.
I want to store files, share files and backup.
I created 3 shares. 3 groups. And users.
I want each share to only be accessed by users in the group and the owner (root)
I want the IT group to have full access to each share.

I did it like this:

Shares: shMath, shPortugues and IT

Groups: Math, Portuguese and IT

user A in the math group
user B in the Portuguese group
user support in the IT group

the user must have full permission in their respective group.
The IT user needs to have full access to all groups.

When I run it in file explorer, I see the folders. When I try to open it, Windows says it can’t access it.

I’m not able to do this configuration.

Can anyone help me?

@isotropic welcome to the Rockstor community.

I assume you’re creating the shares and then create a Samba Export for each of these shares, correct?

You might want to take a look here:

The Rockstor WebUI is not designed to assign a user to multiple groups or create ACLs (that’s one of the answers in that link above). I think for your scenario you will have to use the command line to get to what you want.

FYI, shares are mounted under /mnt2/<sharename>.

You could start with adding the IT Users (using the linux command prompt, not possible from WebUI) to all three groups and assign the group full authorization on their corresponding share:

usermod -a -G group1,group2 username

and check with
groups username

1 Like

Hello, Hooverdan. First of all, I want to thank you for your willingness to answer a question from a beginner, in another country, in a text translated by Google translator. Thank you indeed!
You are top ten!!!
Returning to my question, I thought I could solve it with the UI. I don’t know Linux and I can have a lot of problems if I try to program from the command line.
I thought it would be easier.
I’ll try another NAS. I tried trueNas. Now Rockstor. I’ll keep looking for a NAS that solves it through the UI.
Thank you, Hooverdan.
Big hug.

1 Like

You’re very welcome.

One other thing you could try all through the WebUI:

• create the users and assign to the respective groups
  • make groups owners of the shares (e.g. Math → shMath) with full rights (read/write/execute)
  • keep root as the owner of the shares
  • define IT User as one of the admins on the Samba export (use pencil on right-hand side in the samba screen)

It might work, that IT Users then have full access to all shares (accessing them through Samba though). I have not tried it myself, but it might be worth an attempt.

1 Like

Hello, Hooverdan, good night.
Once again, very grateful for your attention.

My initial problem is this…Share configured:

this follows…

running in explorer:

this follows…

error screen:

As you can see, the authentication screen doesn’t even appear…

Could you help me with this?

Thank you
Big hug

I am currently not close to a system but can you also show how the Samba export is set up? Do you have set “guest access” to “OK”.
If I remember correctly windows will always try to connect as a “guest” and your share settings won’t allow it, so it gets stuck (could be one reason).

Alternatively, could you try to map a drive letter to the share instead and use the option to log in as a different user? Just to see whether that will give you a connection.

You can also check Windows credential manager to see whether it has already stored something for your Rockstar connection that you can either update or remove

2 Likes

Hello, Hooverdan, Good night.
Hooverdan, you were perfect!!
This line:

solved all my problems!
I was able to include IT users in all groups.
I was able to set up FTP!!!
Once again, gratitude for your goodwill.
A big hug.
Have a great weekend.

4 Likes

hello, Hooverdan, good night.
Hooverdan, the configuration is ok. Working perfectly. But there is one thing that I don’t agree with: when the computer starts up, I connect the Josepf user with the NAS.
But I can’t connect as user Paulo. I can only log in as Paulo if I restart the computer. Could you help me fix this?
Grateful.
Hugs.

@isotropic, if I remember correctly, if you set up a mapped drive with a different user (from your windows user), the only way to switch over is to get rid of the drive mapping and create a new one.

When you set up the drive letter did you use Josepf as the user there?

If you go to the ‘Windows Credentials Manager’, does the Josepf user show up under your NAS address?

2 Likes