Unable to run Pi-Hole

Good Evening

I have tried to install Pi-Hole through the Rockon interface and everything appears to go OK. The installation completes.

However, when I try and open the webui I get the following

My settings are as follows:

I’m on Rockstor 5.0.9.0.

Does anyone have any ideas?

To add a bit more. If I run docker logs -f pi-hole I get

docker ps -a | grep pihole returns

I don’t claim to know what either of those mean but I saw it in another post with a similar issue and thought it might be helpful…

@jonnieboyrevel
using port 80 to map to the pihole port 80 is likely causing the connectivity issue. Since Rockstor does a redirect from port 80 to 443 (i.e. the https address of the WebUI), the pihole UI will get caught up in that.
Try to pick another port, e.g. 83 or something during the install to map to the 80 port of pihole.

I also noticed that on your DNS2 entry you seem to have one . too many (in the front), it should probably be just 8.8.4.4

Also, I assume, this is a custom Rockon definition to include more variables? Looks like the ServerIP and VIRTUAL_HOST variable are considered duplicate.

Edit: Actually, looks like this is the 7 year old version of the pi-hole definition. Can you uninstall and run an update on the Rockons list? This should provide an updated view with less entries required (also the image used has changed to the official one). The end result should be something like this:

Hi @Hooverdan

I’ve tried it with the port as both 83 and 80. Neither will let me connect.

I’ve also force deleted the rockon and the share. I’ve tried reinstalling. Note: without the extra period.

I’ve run the rockon update several times and this is the only version that it gives me the option to install…

did you use the command line script to delete the rockon, or removed the container and image using the docker commands? The script procedure I’m referring to is this flow:

cd /opt/rockstor
poetry run delete-rockon 'Pi-Hole'

this should give you a message about metadata having been deleted from the database.

After that, hit the Rockon refresh button, to get updates.

@Hooverdan

Yes, I’ve used the command line script and run the rockon update.

However, when I try to install pi-hole it still gives me the same definition options.

It’s starting to seem like it’s my rockon list that’s not updating properly…

Mhm, may be you can take a look at the rockstor.log

e.g. tail -n200 /opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log to see whether any error/warning/info message pops up after hitting the update button…

@Hooverdan

It doesn’t appear to cause an error. It adds the following line to the log:

[17/Oct/2024 21:08:22] INFO [storageadmin.views.rockon:505] Rock-on definitions retrieved in: 1.85 seconds.

Although I don’t know whether there’s meant to be more after that…

Ok, I feel very silly now…

I had an old version in my rockons-metastore folder, which was obviously overriding the newer version.

It’s pulled the up to date definition, so hopefully it will sort it out.

Thanks for your help, I never would have thought to look there if we hadn’t narrowed it down.

Apologies that it turned out to be user error…

1 Like

Great that you found it. It would have taken me quite some more time to think of you having an older version in the rockons-metastore folder, so all good!