Update 3.9.1.0 error

Hi! I’m new here. When I updated rockstor from 3.9.1-0 to 3.9.1-14 I first noticed this message:

"You are running an unsupported kernel(4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64)"

Then the Samba service was disabled and when I wanted to enable it show this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/smart_manager/views/samba_service.py”, line 92, in post
update_global_config(global_config, adconfig)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/samba.py”, line 178, in update_global_config
test_parm(npath)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/samba.py”, line 45, in test_parm
raise Exception('Syntax error while checking the temporary '
Exception: Syntax error while checking the temporary samba config file

I rebooted the system but with no changes. I also tried to change grub2 to boot with new kernel but then rockstor didn’t boot at all so I changed back to 4.10 kernel.

Any help appreciated.

I reinstalled libwbclient with following command according to this thread

yum reinstall libwbclient -y

enabled samba and now it works. But I’m still having unupdated kernel error:

You are running an unsupported kernel(4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64)

@Wiserock Welcome to the Rockstor community and thanks for reporting your findings.

Glad you got it sorted. @rtharston in that thread experienced the same and seems to have confirmed the cause to be an interrupted upgrade. This is a UI failure on our part and we have an open issue for this now curtesy of @doenietzomoeilijk:

https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/issues/1827

As for the updated kernel failure to install you could take the same tack and try, via a root console:

yum install kernel-ml-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

This may give some hints as to why this has not happened automatically.

Phill, thank you for your suggestions. I managed to fix the kernel issue.
First I checked system with yum history and with yum check (it took about 45 min.)
I can confirm that issue was due to interrupted upgrade which you can see in yum history.

I had to delete duplicate packages and after I had to remove latest kernel with this:

yum remove kernel-ml-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

and reinstall it with this:

yum install kernel-ml-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

and on the end update grub2 and set default kernel.

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
grub2-set-default 0

Good luck!

@Wiserock

Great.

Excellent. So we now have multiple confirmations on this one: good.

Thanks for the update and your findings.