Updating from 3.8.14 -> 3.9.2, Web UI "Unable to Connect" and Files Missing from Share

Evening all. After an extended trial period I decided to back Rockstor and purchase a 3 year Stable Update package. However, after updating from my existing Rockstor installation (3.8.14) to the current build I lost the Web UI and effectively every file on the SMB Share. The Rockstor install is a VM in Windows directly controlling a RAID 1 pool and has been fairly stable since I abandoned a previous RAID 6 pool that failed.

Details:
After activating the UUID of my existing install (3.8.14) the Web UI prompted the update to the latest version (as of 29 November 2017). I clicked to start the update and the 5 minute countdown window popped up. I let Rockstor run its course without interrupting and the countdown window updated to (paraphrasing) “upgrade in progress, please refresh in a few minutes.” I left Rockstor alone until the page refreshed itself with a pop-up window stating:

You are running an unsupported kernel(4.6.0-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64)

I selected Reboot from within the Web UI and watched the command line progress on the VM. Everything came back up normally on the VM, but I am unable to connect to the Web UI. I confirmed the ip address, but every time I get an “Unable to Connect.”

Secondly (and more importantly to me), the SMB Share still exists, but every single folder except for 1 is missing and almost every file in that folder is inaccessible.

EDIT I was mistaken, the SMB Share is gone as well. What I was accessing was a folder that was partially saved for offline use.

I did try yum update but aside from 2 python updates nothing changed.

No Web UI screenshot available.

No Error Traceback available.

I did stumble across one post while writing this saying that there was some sort of significant change at 3.8.15 and to simply do a clean install instead of updating. Is that really my best option? And if so my data in the RAID 1 pool should otherwise remain intact, correct? I ask because I do remember trying to do a manual install of 3.8.16 at one point and it refused to import the 3.8.14 pool.

As this install is on a VM I do have access to the command line via the host machine, but if you need info please assume my command line knowledge is somewhere around the kindergarten level. Command lines love to hate me (something something user error).

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

I currently have the same issue, with the exception that I was going from 4.10 to 4.12. Since the update, I can’t access the Web UI either.

It starts up fine with no errors, I can SSH into it and PLEX works with no problems…just no access to the GUI or my shares. Very odd.

Hi All,

I also upgraded to 3.9.2.-1 and had the same issues, accept I could login into the ui.Shares could not be reached and also a pop-up saying “You are running an unsupported kernel”.
So I decided to re-install rockstor and upgraded again.Shares are working fine again, the only thing that remains is the unsupported kernel.

@BrainDamagedPilot and @757jockey Welcome to the Rockstor community.

There is a know issue with pre- 3.8.15 to post 3.8.15 upgrades: please see the following forum thread for details:

We changed the system by which our db was migrated with an associated and unfortunate ‘bump’.

@smolly Also welcome to the Rockstor community.

Your situation may have been similar pre your re-install but now look more like a failed kernel upgrade. I suspect this can happen if a reboot is performed during the update. I.e. the kernel is part way installing. Do you have a particularly slow system disk, ie a generic usb key rather than something more akin the fast variants such as a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0.
We have had reports of failed or partial updates due to time outs on particularly slow system disks. You could try executing a:

yum update

as root on the command line to see if it gives you any clues as to the current situation / holdup re the kernel update.

Hope that helps.

@phillxnet, thank you for the reply.

I followed the second solution from the thread and have had partial success. yum downgrade rockstor-3.8-14 and rebooting successfully downgraded to 3.8-14 and regained access to the Web UI. The SMB share can be accessed, although it is completely empty. Going to Pools and Shares within the Web UI showed that the data was still there, just inaccessible via SMB. I decided to continue updating hoping that would resolve the empty SMB Share issue.

yum update rockstor-3.8.15 and rebooting was successful, the Web UI is still accessible, but the SMB share remained empty. From the 3.8.15 Web UI I selected update which successfully installed 3.9.2 as confirmed by yum info rockstor. However, the “unsupported kernel” message returns, and rebooting results in the original Web UI and SMB Share connection issue.

I then re-downgraded via yum downgrade rockstor-3.8.15, regained the Web UI, and this time regained the SMB Share and access to my files.

Instead of updating via the Web UI, this time I used yum update rockstor-3.8.16, rebooted, and confirmed 3.8.16-1. The Web UI remains accessible with the “unsupported kernal” message and the SMB Share and files remain accessible. However, under Shares in the Web UI I receive the following Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/snapshot.py”, line 51, in get_queryset
share = Share.objects.get(name=self.kwargs[‘sname’])
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/manager.py”, line 127, in manager_method
return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py”, line 334, in get
self.model._meta.object_name
DoesNotExist: Share matching query does not exist.

I’ll explore a little more with the Web UI update vs the yum command, but should I be running into these issues?

Rebooting 3.8.16 clears the previous Traceback under Shares (not sure if I lost a file there) but does not automatically select the latest kernal. Selecting the latest kernal results in a “unsupported kernal” message basically saying it’s too new, 4.12 instead of 4.8 I think.

I then selected Update from the Web UI and succesfully moved to 3.9.2-1. The Web UI remains accessible, but the SMB Share initially becomes inaccessible. After rebooting via the Web UI and manually selecting the 4.12 kernal, everything appears to be normal again. The Web UI and SMB Share with files all appear to be working.

Hi

I decided last weekend to build a complete new system for mine nas rockstor with up to date specs.
also installed the software on a fast ubs 3. I was very hopefull.

did send a mail to Suman to obtain a new activation code, and started to update to the latest stable release.
but after the update I could not login via UI and also not via ssh. I only can login straight from the console on the pc.

I realy do not undertstand what happend.

could someone give me some advice what to do?
If I need to re-install rockstor again do I need to request a new activationcode?

please I need some help on this

Regards

@smolly Welcome to the Rockstor comunity.

Hopefully not as in most cases the code can retrieve a unique number from the motherboard bios so as long as that stays the same the system should be recognised as registered on the stable channel. Let us know how it goes?

On the kernel version warning front a simple re-boot should put this right as the system attempts to set the default kernel to that of the latest installed for the given Rockstor version.

No it’s difficult to know really unless you have a look at the various logs as they will often have clues as to what may have gone wrong. Also remember that it can take a few minute on the first boot after install for everything to get set up ready to function as expected. Ie it is often necessary to press the enter key a few times to refresh the console message of what IP to use: an indication of this setup time. It’s a bug we are aware of and will get to in time.

Hope that helps.

Hi Philip,

thanks for your response…

did re-install rockstor and the same hardware same stick no issues on this. 3.9.1 is working fine. Also samba and nfs is working.

but when I want to update I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/update_subscription.py”, line 86, in post
stableo = self._toggle_repos(password=password)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/update_subscription.py”, line 58, in _toggle_repos
status, text = repo_status(ono)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/pkg_mgmt.py”, line 154, in repo_status
raise Exception(e_msg)
Exception: Failed to connect to updates.rockstor.com:8999/rockstor-stable. Is the Rockstor system connected to the internet?. Lower level exception: HTTPConnectionPool(host=‘updates.rockstor.com’, port=8999): Max retries exceeded with url: /rockstor-stable (Caused by <class ‘socket.error’>: [Errno 111] Connection refused)

I do have internet acces on the appliance…

any thoughts…?

@smolly Glad your re-install went OK and that you are up and running again.

As per:

Could your router be blocking this port possibly ie port 8999. Otherwise it may just be an issue with one of the update servers as there has been a little hickup of late but that is due to be moved to a more reliable one. Looks very much like nothing to do with your actual install, just maybe the connection re port 8999 or the mentioned host issue on one of the update repo providers:

Have a look at the following forum thread which may have the same cause as your are experiencing:

So check your router for blocking outbound port 8999 and give the update another go in a while to see if the potential hosting issue has cleared up. As per the first reference there are moves to help make the necessary infrastructure more robust.

Hope that helps and thanks for helping to support Rockstor development.

@smolly Hello again

We have just had another report on the forum as per your’s, see the following thread started by forum member @zappa666

Failed to connect to updates.rockstor.com:8999/rockstor-stable. Is the Rockstor system connected to the internet

So looking more like a repo hosting issue.