V. 4.1.0-0 - can't connect to Rockstor via Samba

This is a new install. It’s AD connection seems to work fine, I can see Users and Groups.

On both an iMac and Windows, when I try to connect to Rockstor I first get a login box but no matter what username I try, I get:

“There are no shares available or you are not allowed to access them on the server. Please contact your system administrator to resolve the problem.”

I thought it might be a DNS problem but I get the same result when using the ip address.

Any ideas?

At first, my Samba Custom global configuration was blank but now it is:

inherit acls = yes
inherit owner = yes
map acl inherit = yes
vfs objects = acl_xattr streams_xattr
inherit permissions = yes

The actual text in my smb.conf is (edited to hide FQDN):

[global]
log level = 3
map to guest = Bad User
cups options = raw
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
printcap name = /dev/null
load printers = no

####BEGIN: Rockstor SAMBA GLOBAL CUSTOM####
inherit acls = yes
inherit owner = yes
map acl inherit = yes
workgroup = AD
####END: Rockstor SAMBA GLOBAL CUSTOM####

####BEGIN: Rockstor ACTIVE DIRECTORY CONFIG####
security = ads
realm = ad.XXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXX
kerberos method = secrets and keytab
client signing = yes
client use spnego = yes
####END: Rockstor ACTIVE DIRECTORY CONFIG####

I note that the smb.conf for my original Rockstor 3.9.2-57 had this:

inherit acls = yes
inherit owner = yes
winbind max domain connections = 10
map acl inherit = yes
winbind expand groups = 2
workgroup = AD

I don’t need the winbind lines, do I?

1 Like

Also, I note that I have no appliance IP address set and I don’t see how to do this

Does this make a difference to anything?

Thanks

Hi @MRC-MBU,

Thanks for the details… I will need some time to re-test the access of a Samba share by an Active Directory user as I need to reset my test AD setup here, but in the meantime, we can try to verify a few things.

Have you set the ACL of the share exported by Samba so that the AD user(s) have permission to read/write to it? See our docs here: https://rockstor.com/docs/interface/storage/shares-btrfs-subvolumes.html#accesscontrol

I would also point you towards our docs on how to access a Samba export from Windows/macOS to see if you can spot something different than what you have tried so far: https://rockstor.com/docs/interface/storage/file_sharing/samba_ops.html#how-to-access-a-samba-export

Sorry I can’t give you a cleaner answer at the moment, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to get that sorted as soon as possible.

2 Likes

I have mine working on AD but I will say something happened recently where it was failing to login same message and I had to disable/renable the AD and Samba services. What do your logs show in /var/log/samba?

2 Likes