V4 Configuration and initial testing

Even though I’m very rusty about the V4 user interface, in a short time this morning I wiped my disks, setup two pools (one RAID 1 2x 500GB SSDs, not sure what I’ll use that for, the other RAID 10 4x Hard drives), and a share for my main user data. I’ve got an initial copy of some of my desktop data going to that data share.
Honestly, configuration on Rockstor is so easy compared to the other NASs I have tried and used. To round out my setup, I have to shut down and rewire my UPS so the Rockstor server is on it, and switch from Wi-Fi between my Mac and the server to Ethernet via a router.

One thing I have noticed is that on Firefox (on macOS 12.5.1), the Rockstor pages don’t seem to adjust to the Firefox window sizes, and I haven’t found how to adjust the Rockstor column widths, so right-hand columns are often not visible. Just my learning curve I guess

Looking great!

4 Likes

@CEH Thanks for the update, good to hear.

Re:

OK, that’s interesting. Can’t take a closer look here as no OSX, did have a little while back but need to reacquire a modern-ish OSX for such test. Modern Firefox on a linux desktop looks to be behaving. You could check to see if this is an artifact of having a magnification enabled, For linux/windows that can be adjusted via Ctrl+mouse wheel up-down (or + - keys with Ctrl). I’ve seen browser magnification do stuff like this where parts of a page are obscured. We use bootstrap under the hood for our ‘page’ layouts so it should all auto adjust to whatever screen size it gets. Keep us posted on this one. Magnification setting is often indicated within the URL bar on the right hand side: as a percentage, i.e. 110%. Just a thought on trying to track down what’s going on there. Sounds like a bug on our end actually. Or our older bootstrap code, which is due for a revamp once we have some ‘bigger-fish’ sorted.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

OK, Zoom is currently 100%. The Dashboard page adjusts well to zoom changes, it’s pages like Storage, Disks that don’t. Of course, I can get to the hidden columns using the right/left arrow keys, but sometime you need to see more of the columns together.

Not a biggie, just a slight inconvenience.

1 Like

Just chipping in here to report that I am able to see all columns fine in Firefox (also Chrome and Edge) on a Linux powered laptop. I don’t have any other OS to hand to test I’m afraid.

I don’t think this is possible.

2 Likes

Hi GeoffA,
OK, I am running macOS 12.5.1. Firefox and Safari both show the issue I mentioned. It may be an OS matter.
I tried to run some other browsers but they regard Rockstor’s website as potentially bad because they say
it’s sending scrambled credentials. This is what Chrome says:

"192.168.68.115 normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to 192.168.68.115 this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be 192.168.68.115 or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit 192.168.68.115 at the moment because the website sent scrambled credentials that Chrome cannot process. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later."

1 Like