Wipe existing Filesystem on disk

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

Wipe existing Filesystem on a disk

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 1003, in _role_disk
)
File “/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 185, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 678, in _wipe
).format(disk.name, disk.name, disk_name, reverse_name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 1005, in wipe_disk
return line_fields[1]
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 227, in run_command
logger.debug(“Running command: {}”.format(" ".join(cmd)))
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/wipefs -a /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST6000DM003-2CY186_ZCT2434P. rc = 1. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘wipefs: error: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST6000DM003-2CY186_ZCT2434P: probing initialization failed: Device or resource busy’, ‘’]

@Osmic Hello there, and welcome to the Rockstor community,
Re:

This can often be resolved by a reboot. Sometimes btrfs or other previously active filesystems can have troubles fully releasing a device if they were previously part of a pool for example.

So try doing a reboot and then trying again to wipe the disk.

But first make sure the drive is not currently an active part of a pool. If it is you will need to ReRaid via the Pool details page to remove the drive (if possible) for it’s current pool: if the pool status allows for this of course.

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply. Sorry but this did not help. I had installed Rockstor on a USB drive which apparently Rockstor did not like. I couldn’t get the system to boot. I ended up reinstalling on a SSD and so far I’ve not had problems.

2 Likes