Add Netdata Rockon

I just submitted a PR for a Rockon running netdata:
https://github.com/rockstor/rockon-registry/pull/157

Although Rockstor’s dashboard provides a quick and instantaneous overview of most of the server’s state, it could be limited for some users who would like to have a more detailed view of the machine’s CPU, RAM, DISK, and NET usage.
Its documentation reads:

netdata is a scalable, distributed, real-time, performance and health monitoring solution for Linux, FreeBSD and MacOS. It is open-source too.

Out of the box, it collects 1k to 5k metrics per server per second. It is the corresponding of running top, vmstat, iostat, iotop, sar, systemd-cgtop and a dozen more console tools in parallel. netdata is very efficient in this: the daemon needs just 1% to 3% cpu of a single core, even when it runs on IoT.

You can find more information and links to demo websites on its website:

Any feedback, comments, and improvements are welcome!

1 Like

@Flox,
for some reason I cannot see Netdata in the list of Rock-Ons which I can Install.
Is there a way I can either troubleshoot this one or install it manually?

Hi @lexxa,

It is normal for the moment as even though the json definition file for this rock-on has been merged, it still needs to be “published” on the back-end for it to be accessible by default from Rockstor’s webUI. I understand there is a vast amount of work being done currently on the backend infrastructure so there’s probably something to do with it.

Nevertheless, you can easily install the file locally by following the instructions detailed on the rockons-registry repository: GitHub - rockstor/rockon-registry: hosted registry for Rock-ons

Upload the file to /opt/rockstor/rockons-metastore/[app].json. Hit update in the Web-UI and install your brand new Rock-On!

Notably, @phillxnet wrote a detailed how-to with step-by-step instructions and screenshots in the thread below:

This should contain all you need, but don’t hesitate to let us know how it goes! Netdata’s functions can be a little particular as it strongly depends on the hardware on which it is run. See the thread below for an example:

Hope this helps,