Can't start samba due to system error

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

unable to create samba shares due to error saying ‘Failed to start samba due to a system error’

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

just tried to enable samba share from dashboard!

Web-UI screenshot

Screenshot_20200802_191213|690x389

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/smart_manager/views/samba_service.py", line 114, in post systemctl('smb', command) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/services.py", line 64, in systemctl return run_command([SYSTEMCTL_BIN, switch, service_name]) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 115, in run_command raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc) CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/systemctl start smb. rc = 1. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['Job for smb.service failed because a fatal signal was delivered to the control process. See "systemctl status smb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.', '']

Fixed it now - reinstalling libwbclient & a load of dependencies with it has solved my issue.

2 Likes

@fudge Thanks for the update and glad you got it sorted.

We have seen this before on the forum and in most cases I think it’s down to a failed or partial update. Our CentOS based installer is now super old and so has a very long way to updated post install. And I believe somewhere along the way a fragility crept in with some samba stuff that means it sometimes fails.

We are however on the verge of releasing a new installer (beta trials currently) so keep an eye on the forum for news of this. It’s part of our ‘Built on openSUSE’ re-launch. Or if you are curios you can make your own via the instructions in this new repo:

And the result will have all pending updates pre-applied which is nice. Plus there’s the option to customise it for your purpose of course. Which is in line with our open source & DIY nature.