Changing Update from Testing Channel to Stable

As there are obviously no current updates on the testing-channel I decided to buy a subscription. So now how can I configure my current rockstor installation to update from stable and not try to contact testing-channel anymore? Clicking on the “Software Update” Button in the Web UI always ends up in a timeout error.

@EURO-LOG Welcome to the Rockstor community and thanks for helping to support Rockstor development via a stable subscription. Apologies for there being no testing channel updates.

Not quite sure what’s happened here but once you select the stable channel, either direct from iso install or when changing from having been on testing you should automatically have the Rockstor-Stable repo enabled.

ie:

yum repolist
Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
 * base: centos.serverspace.co.uk
 * epel: ftp.nluug.nl
 * extras: mirror.mhd.uk.as44574.net
 * updates: centos.serverspace.co.uk
repo id                                            repo name                                                                          status
Rockstor-Stable                                    Subscription channel for stable updates                                                  57
base/x86_64                                        CentOS-7 - Base                                                                       9,911
epel/x86_64                                        Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 7 - x86_64                                       12,707
extras/x86_64                                      CentOS-7 - Extras                                                                       434
rockstor                                           Rockstor 3 - x86_64                                                                      55
updates/x86_64                                     CentOS-7 - Updates                                                                 1,543+71
repolist: 24,707

But what could have happened is a chicken and egg bug (sorted in an update!) that appears when moving from testing to stable.

https://github.com/rockstor/rockstor-core/issues/1870

Execute the following command as root:

yum update rockstor

and it should then sort it. There after you can return to having updates offered and sorted via the Web-UI.

Let us know how that goes. And incidentally there should now be a fresh new 3.9.2-44 version available: just released.

I suspect that we have also just had a blip in the servers hosting the updates (unconfirmed as of yet) but all looks to be back online as normal now - pretty sure @suman just got that sorted.

Hope that helps.

I started with activating testing updates via the WebUI. Clicking on “Software Update” in the WebUI results in an error every time now. On ssh console typing “yum update rockstor” keeps telling me “http://updates.rockstor.com:8999/rockstor-testing/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://updates.rockstor.com:8999/rockstor-testing/repodata/repomd.xml: (28, ‘Connection timed out after 30001 milliseconds’)
Trying other mirror”
I opened Port 8999 in the firewall, so that cannot be the issue.
I installed from the latest iso, so I’m on 3.9.1-0 right now.

Edit: Found the problem - it was actually in the firewall. We recently updated our OPNSense - the newest version obviously doesn’t reload the rules on an alias change. Manually reloading the rules did the trick and I can connect the repository now.

@EURO-LOG Thanks for the update and glad you tracked it down, I was at a bit of a loss there for a bit as I saw the update repos come back up and tested them here; which was my original though on you issue.

So have you now managed to update to latest stable successfully? From 3.9.1-0 (un-updated iso release) that’s quite a jump. In the process you system will also be moved from old docker to docker-ce so best to reboot and check all is still OK on the Rock-on front, but make sure yum has done all it intends to do first though of course.

Hope it works out for you and do report any anomalies / short falls you find. We still have a few key issues that need addressing but development work is ongoing.