'/dev/sdd'web interface is not scanning or showing new drives added to the system

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

web interface is not scanning or showing new drives added to the system

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

got to web interface click on drives menu and click scan button.

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 40, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 417, in post return self._update_disk_state() ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib64/python3.11/contextlib.py", line 81, in inner return func(*args, **kwds) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 212, in _update_disk_state pool_info = dev_pool_info[dev_name] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^ KeyError: '/dev/sdd'

Well I figured it out. To add a new drive to the system the drive must be blank. The error message threw me off. There is no issue with the software but it would have been nice for a hint. I pulled up the cli and ran part to remove my test partitions on the drive. The system GUI recognized the drive and let me add it to my existing BRTFS pool. I am not new to Linux but I am new to this OS. A rookie would struggle with this condition. Why did the error box show up was it (user error) or a bug in the program needs to have a little more explanation.

Glad it worked for you. You are right, that this not entirely self-evident that the drive state itself might be the cause vs. another reason. We have a brief reference to that in the pre-install best practices:

https://rockstor.com/docs/installation/pre-install-howto.html#wiping-disks

but that is not obvious information for someone that installed Rockstor successfully and then wants to add a new disk, and this scan failure is also dependent on what the disk might have been filled with before (Linux FS vs Windows, data disk vs. OS disk). May be a brief new section for adding new disks could be helpful in the documentation. Eventually, this could also be a tooltip on the WebUI.

If you’re up for it, you could submit a proposal for documentation here:

Thanks for pointing this out.

1 Like