Disk id (195) does not exist

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

Complete newbie with Rockstor.
Using XCP-NG for my hypervisor. Have used this system successfully for many years (barring disk failures!) with many different versions of linux and windows.
Require to run a NAS, plenty of spare capacity. 8 Core Intel 32GB RAM, 1TB SDD primary drive, 4TB
SDD secondary drive.
Created VM in Xen Orchestrator using Suse 15 template. 150GB primary, 500GB secondary. default presented names are, of course, xvda, and xvdb.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

the pixel paint isn’t dry on the console - Only just started to look at setting this up.

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk_smart.py", line 57, in _validate_disk return Disk.objects.get(id=did) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/models/manager.py", line 87, in manager_method return getattr(self.get_queryset(), name)(*args, **kwargs) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python3.11/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 637, in get raise self.model.DoesNotExist( storageadmin.models.disk.Disk.DoesNotExist: Disk matching query does not exist.
</code>

Hi @JulianGray , and welcome!

I wonder if this relates to the requirement of unique serial number. As you can see in the screenshot, Rockstor does require each disk to have a unique serial number as this is how it keeps track of it. You can see more info on that in our docs:
https://rockstor.com/docs/installation/quickstart.html#minimum-system-requirements

Unfortunately I’m unfamiliar with XCP-NG, but I would look into how to attribute a unique serial id to your disk(s) first.

Hello Flox

So, how does Suse declare the disk id?

(XCP is open version of Xen Server.)

What algorithm does RockStor use to determine “unique”?

I’ve given it 2 drives that under the covers the hypervisor holds with a UUID - so garuanteed unique. Just the presentation name is sensible and relatable!

Please advise - Rockstor is an absolutely classic apl for a vm. Please dont tell me I need to be a linux wizzard to shoehorn it in :slight_smile:

Thanks

And

This area is @phillxnet’s expertise but I’ll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
Rockstor relies on what the kernel sees and thus on what the disk firmware reports to the kernel. This applies to bare metal disks but also to virtualized drives as they should follow a similar logic. To track the disks, Rockstor uses their serial number as it is an intended unique identifier (in some cases such as USB enclosures with “peculiar” controllers, we sometimes see some funky behavior but there are some workarounds at times). To get this serial number, we use lsblk, which means that if you want to know how they appear in your VM, you can run the following:

lsblk -P -p -o NAME,MODEL,SERIAL,SIZE,TRAN,VENDOR,HCTL,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID

If the serial is not showing up as unique here, then it likely means that additional configuration is needed on your hypervisor end. In the docs to which I linked above, you can see that VMWare requires some additional settings, for instance.

If you’re interested, I encourage you to have a read on this forum about Rockstor as a VM; threads such as the one below should be very informative and much more accurate than what I could detail:

1 Like

You might have seen this already or done this and are still having issues, but here’s a show-n-tell about the hard disk passthrough.

2 Likes