Disk is busy error

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

System is telling me that the drive is busy even though I have just restarted the machine and there is nothing that should be using the drives.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

I just tried to create a pool with the two hard disks that are available.

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/pool.py”, line 444, in post
add_pool(p, dnames)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 116, in add_pool
out, err, rc = run_command(cmd, log=True)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 201, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/mkfs.btrfs -f -d raid1 -m raid1 -L pool1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST91000640NS_9XG0706E /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST91000640NS_9XG07KDG. rc = 1. stdout = ['btrfs-progs v4.19.1 ', ‘See http://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org for more information.’, ‘’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: unable to open /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST91000640NS_9XG0706E: Device or resource busy’, ‘’]

[paste here]

@mark4592007 Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Which version of Rockstor are you experiencing this with. Our current recommended version for new installs is 4.0.7-0:

https://rockstor.com/download.html

You can tell the rockstor version running via:

yum info rockstor

Although this does look like something out side of the rockstor package.

Alternatively if the kernel is having a hardware issue ‘sensing’ the drive then it may be busy due to that. Is this otherwise known good hardware. Some more info about the setup may help folks here with ideas as to what’s going wrong.

Hope that helps.

1 Like