Domain/Realm(GBG.LOCAL) could not be resolved. Check your DNS configuration and try again. Lower level error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

[I can’t activate Active Directory Service on Rockstor]

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

[Hi all, i had installed Rockstor 5.14.21-150400.24.46, with a good static IP and network conf. I can ping to my AD server and if i try to use “realm” command to join to AD domain i can, but i can’t join by the web activating Active Directory service.
I have configurated NTP and Samba services like in another rockstor servers i have, but it doesn’t work this time :frowning:

Someone can help me to add this server to my Active Directory domain?
]

Web-UI screenshot

[

]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

[ Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/smart_manager/views/active_directory.py", line 58, in _resolve_check socket.gethostbyname(domain) gaierror: [Errno -2] Name or service not known
]

@ifernandez welcome to the Rockstor community. You listed the Linux Kernel version above, but I assume you are on Rockstor version 4.6.1-0?

Since I am not an AD expert, have you read through this thread below to take a look whether any of your settings are similar/different and whether (despite the fix that was introduced and is available in the latest version) any of the proposed workarounds might work for you?

Maybe @ocelot11 sees this post and can provide some further insights/questions to help you along.

2 Likes

Hi @Hooverdan thanks for reply.

I saw this post before but he haven’t the same problem than me. I have Rockstor 4.5.8-0 and i can¡t update without an activation code.

In this post he cant use “realm join” command to join to AD server, but i can use to join and leave after if I want, the problem is then I can’t start Active Directory service on Rockstor web after that, and I don’t have my ad users/groups listed.

Hi @ifernandez ,

To make sure I understand correctly:

1. when you click on the little wrench icon next to the “Active Directory”, you fill in all the information to configure the service as detailed in Services — Rockstor documentation. The Domain/Realm name you enter is an IP address, or FQDN… maybe xxxxxxx.local if I understand correctly?
  2. It is when you click on the “Submit” button there that you see the “Name or service not known” error?

Given this error means your system fails to resolve this domain by name, I’m particularly interested in you mentioning the following:

Can you elaborate on this network.conf?

2 Likes

Hi Flox thanks for reply.

For the configuration of Active Directory service I’m using my FQDN, it’s xxxxx.local. The error returned is: “Domain/Realm(XXXXX.local) could not be resolved. Check your DNS configuration and try again. Lower level error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known”.

I have the next network configuration in WebUI:

Config Method: Manual
MTU 1500
IP Address: 192.168.xxx.xxx/32
Gateway : 192.168.xxx.xxx
DNS Servers: 192.168.xxx.xxx, 192.168.xxx.xxx
Search Domains: XXX.local

If I ping to ADSV1 and ADSV2 the ping resolves.

I had checked the next configuration archives:

/etc/resolv.conf

search XXXXX.local
nameserver 192.168.xxx.xxx
nameserver 192.168.xxx.xxx

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.xxx.xxx adsv1.xxx.local adsv1
192.168.xxx.xxx adsv2.xxx.local adsv2

/etc/krb5.conf
[libdefaults]
dns_canonicalize_hostname = false