Duplicate Appliance ID

Hello,

I have installed rockstore at home on 2 gigabyte brix ( GB-BXBT-2807) which had generated same Appliance ID: 03AA02FC-0414-05EB-D406-DC0700080009 with the following /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid code:
038D0240-045C-0530-BA06-400700080009

Does exist a way to change the Appliance ID ? because I would like to use storage replication and I’m unable to register the appliance.

Thanks in advance.

@nik0chan Welcome to the Rockstor community.

I’m actually working on a new release currently and may well be able to incorporate this new fake appliance ID into it, if all goes well.

Could you confirm, via cut and paste of the following command, the product_uuid on these motherboards.

cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid

Thanks. I just want to make sure of the case; to be sure.

Cheers.

@nik0chan
Re:

Another anomaly/question I have here is that I would have expected your Appliance ID to be the same as your product_uuid from the above command. As per the following code segment:

Hence the question to confirm this Appliance id. I would have expected both motherboards to have produced the same appliance id and the same product_uuid code from the prior command. The appliance id equals the product_uuid if the later is not found in a know list of fakes. So I just wanted to make sure this was an actual fake product id before I add it as it may be that your duplication setup is misleading you with regard to which product is which. I’ve searched appman and the shop for both and do not see either of them so I can’t use those sources to verify.

Please response soon if you can as I’m on the verge of doing the next rpm and it would be good, and provide you with a far easier option, if we can bake this one in.

Cheers.

1 Like

Hello Philip,

Thanks for your fast reply,

On my rockstor2 Gigabyte brix GB-BXBT-2807

[root@rockstor2 ~]# cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid
03AA02FC-0414-05EB-D406-DC0700080009

On my rockstor Gigabyte brix GB-BXBT-2807

[root@rockstor ~]# cat /sys/class/dmi/id/product_uuid
038D0240-045C-0530-BA06-400700080009

BUT I have to mention one important thing; I installed rockstore on one machine and then swapped the hard drive to the other by repeating the installation on the original machine with another hard drive.
I don’t know if this fact could affect the installation.

Cheers,

@nik0chan Thanks for the confirmation / update.

Yes, you are correct, that’s pretty much the cause of this here. An install will pick-up it’s appliance id upon install and this will remain constant for that install. So in your case the 2 motherboards do in fact have differing product_uuid’s and so an install on each would result in differing appliance ids.

One of the simplest options is to just re-install on the drive you moved over. This might be a good time to try the new Rockstor 4 DIY installer if you haven’t done so already of course:

Just a thought. And I’ve now closed the related GitHub issue opened on account of this report. Thanks for the post here, it helps to highlight the sticky nature of an Appliance ID.

Thanks for the extra info and your quick response. Let us know if you go the 4 route as it’s now the future anyway so you might as well take this opportunity if it’s not too impractical.

Hope that helps.

1 Like