Trying to setup Email

Brief description of the problem

When hitting submit, I get this error

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

[write here]

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 41, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/email_client.py", line 287, in post update_sasl(smtp_server, port, username, password) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/email_client.py", line 181, in update_sasl os.chmod("{}.db".format(sasl_file), stat.S_IRUSR | stat.S_IWUSR) OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db'
1 Like

Hi @njmike73, and welcome to the community!

Thanks a lot for reporting this issue. Briefly, I believe you are encountering the consequence of an update to the postfix package in openSUSE Leap 15.3.

To provide additional details as to what is happening, let’s go back to where it is failing:

File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/email_client.py", line 181, in update_sasl
os.chmod("{}.db".format(sasl_file), stat.S_IRUSR | stat.S_IWUSR)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db'`

This brings us to the following line:

os.chmod("{}.db".format(sasl_file), stat.S_IRUSR | stat.S_IWUSR)

Here, we simply try to change the access permissions to the /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db, but it fails as no such file can be found. This file is generated by postfix and we were expecting the *.db file type for it due to postfix defaults at the time. In Leap 15.3, however, the postfix package has been updated to a version where the *.db format has been deprecated in favor of a better one and as a result the /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db is not generated anymore. The generated file should instead be: /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.lmdb.
For reference, here’s a related changelog for the postfix package: Request 870163: Submit postfix - openSUSE Build Service

I’ve created an issue in our Github repository to keep track of it. I personally believe having a working email setup is rather high on the priority list so I’ll try to have a shot at it as soon as possible. We’re in the middle of working on a couple of other pressing issues at the moment but once I’m done with it, I’ll do my best to address this issue.

Thanks again for reporting this issue!

2 Likes

Thanks so much! Other than this, my install has gone very very well!

Question though, is there a workaround for the time being? If not, that’s OK - it’s not that important to send mail yet.

1 Like

@njmike73 Hello again, and thanks for transferring this report to the forum. Much appreciated.

Re:

I’m not as informed about his issue as @Flox but I’d be reluctant to suggest any short term workarounds as it may end up inadvertently interfering with the proper fix we hope to get sorted by way of our next package update. So keep an eye out for 4.0.10-0 as the hope is we can tend to this issue ready for that release. Unfortunately we can’t promise a deadline but this is a high priority issue as we move to the next stable release. A complicastion is that this only affects our Leap 15.3 offering, and then more specifically only newer versions of that package. And given our existing code works just fine in the Leap 15.2 variant we have to be careful not to break one to fix the other.

Thanks again for the follow-up public report here on the forum, and for progress on this issue keep an eye on the GitHub issue @Flox created and linked to.

@Flox Thanks for looking into this issue and the explanation here: much appreciated as well.

2 Likes