Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/nmcli -t -f device device. rc = 8. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['Error: NetworkManager is not running.', '']

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

I disabled NetworkManager and enabled wicked, and this happened

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

As above

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/network.py”, line 236, in get_queryset
self._refresh_devices()
File “/opt/rockstor/.venv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 185, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/network.py”, line 201, in _refresh_devices
dmap = sysnet.get_dev_config(sysnet.get_dev_list())
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/network.py”, line 47, in get_dev_list
o, e, rc = run_command([NMCLI, “-t”, “-f”, “device”, “device”])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 246, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/nmcli -t -f device device. rc = 8. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘Error: NetworkManager is not running.’, ‘’]

How to configure Rockstor to use wicked?

Hi @kensee ,

I’m afraid NetworkManager is one of Rockstor’s expectations as it uses it to interact, read, and write anything network-related. Making it work with wicked would require substantial modifications to many core functions so it would not be something I would advise.

May I ask if there is anything in particular that you would like to accomplish? Chances are, it can also be accomplished using NetworkManager and we would more more than happy to assist where we can.

2 Likes

Hi,

Going into yast2, it says it cannot configure many options as the network is managed by NetworkManager.

Rockstor is on opensuse and yast2 expects the network to be managed by wicked in order to use it.

Can you please advise on this?

@kensee as @Flox pointed out, Rockstor is currently built around Network Manager, since it was historically designed on the now defunct CentOS system. The transition to OpenSUSE kept Network Manager in place, since we have quite a bit of other technical debt to address first and it would require a major redesign.

What is your use case that you need to use YAST2 to manage your network settings, that are not addressed through the Rockstor UI or the nmcli command line options?

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Have switched back to NetworkManager. Using nmcli to create vlans and bridges for kvm.

2 Likes