Error while resizing pools

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

Hello hard rockstor,

My server has the following configuration:
Dell Inc. PowerEdge T110/0V52N7, BIOS 1.12.0 07/04/2018
SanDisk SSD PLUS 120 GB.
2x1 TB HDs @ RAID 1
1X1 TB
8G RAM

I had to change the OS HD due to hardware issues so I reinstalled Rockstor to brand new SanDisk. After installation existing pools reinserted via the + button but whole drive mapped to pool. While trying to resize pool I get the following error.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

While trying to resize pools I receive the following error.

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/share.py”, line 247, in put
share_pqgroup_assign(share.pqgroup, share)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 1240, in share_pqgroup_assign
return qgroup_assign(share.qgroup, pqgroup, mnt_pt)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 1294, in qgroup_assign
raise e
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/btrfs qgroup assign 0/258 2015/2 /mnt2//Pool-1T-R1. rc = 1. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: unable to assign quota group: File exists’, ‘’]

@xtselios Welcome to the Rockstor community.
Re:

Does this mean that you imported your existing pools. See this doc entry for that process:
Import BTRFS Pool http://rockstor.com/docs/disks.html#import-btrfs-pool
And did the pool import work, as in did you then see your prior shares/snapshots etc.

I ask as

is a default that is used when creating a new pool, not when importing an existing pool.

It may be that you have inadvertently attempted to create a new pool using existing drives. But for that you would need to wipe your existing drives which in turn would remove all their data. Just trying to check on the order of proceeding and the state your system is currently in.

This could be a bug in how we handle quotas, which is currently a less well developed part of the project, or it could be just an emergent property of us no accounting for your systems current state.

Are you in fact adding a drive to an existing imported pool. Sorry to not have a better handle on your circumstance. But if this is a stable release version you may find that simply disabling quotas and re-enabling them (and waiting a few minutes for the re-enable to settle in) may ‘fix’ your issue as in that circumstance all the quota groups should be re-created; and the error here suggests a quota group ‘file’ already exists suggesting a clash between what we think is going on quota groups wise and the actual quota group state. Hence the suggestion to disable and re-enable to give Rockstor the chance to re-set it’s representation of quota groups. But note that only Stable Rockstor versions or our new Rockstor 4 variant are compatible with quota disabled states.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Dear Philip ,

Thank you for the quick reply. Indeed after disabling - enabling quotas problem solved!!!

Thanks again!

2 Likes