Fail to initalize disk mounted with LUKS

Brief description of the problem

Unable to control devices created with LUKS

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Install rockstor
Add new device
Encrypt with cryptsetup luksFormat
Add device in /etc/crypttab
Add btrfs filesystem to new device (/dev/mapper/device)
Observe in web-gui the request to delete this btrfs filesystem
click on above request
Observe the pop-up stack trace

Web-UI screenshot

There isn’t much to see here

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 296, in post
return self._wipe(dname, request)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.6.11-py2.7.egg/django/db/transaction.py”, line 371, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 320, in _wipe
wipe_disk(disk.name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 1104, in wipe_disk
return run_command([WIPEFS, ‘-a’, disk])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 98, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [’/usr/sbin/wipefs’, ‘-a’, ‘/dev/d1’]. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘wipefs: error: /dev/d1: probing initialization failed: No such file or directory’, ‘’]

@sea_striker First off welcome to the Rockstor community.

Yes we don’t currently support LUKS but I intend to get stuck into this one shortly and will mark all development against our existing issue opened for this very feature:

A little more ground work is necessary but I would also like to make good on some previous promises before I embark on this one, but it is definitely getting closer and some ground work has already been put in place.

Sounds good, LUKS support would be a great feature overall, and a killer feature for me personally.

I’ve read about the work that has been put in this year and it looks like a significant portion of the work has been done. In fact I was working on this today because I thought that RockStor might support LUKS if I handled everything up to presenting a device in /dev/mapper, but that is not the case. It appears that there are some conflicts to be handled before that can be done cleanly, however not knowing the codebase, I can’t really comment on that.

As an intermediate step however, is it possible to add support for devices added into /dev/mapper?

In any event, it looks great, I’m just waiting for LUKS before I switch over my main storage.