Failed to configure drive role, or wipe existing filesystem, or do LUKS format on device id (4). Error: (Error running a command. cmd

Brief description of the problem

When to use the wipe disk

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Clicked disks
Clicked on the first disk (little eraser icon)
Select Partition to use (filesystem) * Whole disk btrfs
ticked wipe data
Clicked submit and blam error as you see below.

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 921, in _role_disk
return self._wipe(disk.id, request)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 145, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 616, in _wipe
wipe_disk(disk_name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 864, in wipe_disk
return run_command([WIPEFS, ‘-a’, disk_byid_withpath])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 120, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/wipefs -a /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x600508b1001c389ff5bd27d507d77cb7. rc = 1. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘wipefs: error: /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x600508b1001c389ff5bd27d507d77cb7: probing initialization failed: Device or resource busy’, ‘’]

@CJ_and_Darren Welcome to the Rockstor community,

From the following part of the Traceback:

It looks like something is still accessing this device. If it’s a drive that you had previously set up a share on and you have now stopped using it, i.e. experimenting a bit, then it could be that the original use hasn’t properly let it go. This might be related to your similarly timed post here:

If the program or mount that was previously using this device is properly removed / turn off then it may be that you need to do a reboot for it’s locks on that device to be properly cleared up.

Hope that helps.

I am going to go look at all the drives. I was darn sure I formatted them all before doing the install.