Failed to import any pool on this device. All Data are lost!

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

Help!!!
All shares and data of my RAID 5/6 pool are lost.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Yesterday I did not get access to the shares.
In the web UI, all the shares had disappeared.
After a reinstall the pool could not be activated.
See error message below.

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Houston, we’ve had a problem.

Failed to import any pool on this device(ata-Hitachi_HDS722020ALA330_JK1130YAGWR15T). Error: Error running a command. cmd = /bin/mount /dev/disk/by-label/home-stor /mnt2/home-stor. rc = 32. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,’, ’ missing codepage or helper program, or other error’, ‘’, ’ In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try’, ’ dmesg | tail or so.', ‘’]

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 521, in _btrfs_disk_import
mount_root(po)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 238, in mount_root
run_command(mnt_cmd)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 110, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /bin/mount /dev/disk/by-label/home-stor /mnt2/home-stor. rc = 32. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,’, ’ missing codepage or helper program, or other error’, ‘’, ’ In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try’, ’ dmesg | tail or so.', ‘’]

@alberwil Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Not necessarily.

When a pool goes read only (which they do when encountering problems) Rockstor currently fails to retrieve the shares (subvolumes) and consequently is unable to present them on the UI. This is known behaviour and is my next ‘port of call’ focus wise, once I am done with my current issue that is and have fully defined this less than helpful behaviour so that I create a issue accordingly.

You don’t state what version of Rockstor you are running but as of 3.9.1 this error is less likely as we internally ‘try harder’ to do more device scanning prior to a mount / import.

The error reported is mount’ / btrfs’s way of saying that it can’t see/understand all of the drives it expects and doesn’t necessarily relate to the drive used in the mount. You could try the following command as root in the terminal prior to attempting the import again:

btrfs device scan

However I suspect given your initial report of the shares disappearing that what you have is a poorly pool, and in the case of btrfs raid 5/6, bodes less well for the repair route.

Initially if this is your only copy of the date you are best advised to follow a btrfs restore route first:

The btrfs restore utility is a non-destructive method for attempting to recover
data from an unmountable filesystem. It makes no attempt to repair the filesystem,
which means that you cannot cause further damage by running it.

Unfortunately Rockstor is currently weak in failed pool scenarios so you are best advised I think, at least for the time being, to pursue manual command line remedies for repairing the pool: that is once you are assured you have retrieved what unique data may reside on the pool, as any repair attempt could make things worse rather than better. Ie once you are assured of your backups and have accomplished what you need to with the restore command, then you may find that a ro,degraded (read only, degraded) mount will work. Just remember that currently in some circumstance you may only get one rw,degraded (read write, degraded) mount (in order to enact repairs) prior to your options narrowing so make sure you are prepared for a pool repair via the command line at that stage (were you to be in that circumstance). Ie you may only get one shot at a rw,degraded mount in order to effect a repair. If that is your requirement.

Hope that helps and apologies but I am unable to put much time into this as it is more btrfs related than Rockstor code related, but I am currently working on improving Rockstor’s reporting in situations such as this.

Hope that helps and that others can step in with more advise on the btrfs side.