Failed to import previous array/shares/snapshots/etc. on a new install

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

Failed to import array on a fresh install

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Install rockstor on a drive, reboot twice. then while powered down install/connect your old btrfs array. when you reboot in the http UI you use import and then you get the error

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 699, in _btrfs_disk_import
do.save()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/base.py”, line 734, in save
force_update=force_update, update_fields=update_fields)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/base.py”, line 762, in save_base
updated = self._save_table(raw, cls, force_insert, force_update, using, update_fields)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/base.py”, line 827, in _save_table
forced_update)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/base.py”, line 877, in _do_update
return filtered._update(values) > 0
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/query.py”, line 580, in _update
return query.get_compiler(self.db).execute_sql(CURSOR)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py”, line 1062, in execute_sql
cursor = super(SQLUpdateCompiler, self).execute_sql(result_type)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py”, line 840, in execute_sql
cursor.execute(sql, params)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/backends/utils.py”, line 64, in execute
return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/utils.py”, line 98, in exit
six.reraise(dj_exc_type, dj_exc_value, traceback)
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/db/backends/utils.py”, line 64, in execute
return self.cursor.execute(sql, params)
OperationalError: deadlock detected
DETAIL: Process 13434 waits for ShareLock on transaction 3209; blocked by process 13470.
Process 13470 waits for ShareLock on transaction 3208; blocked by process 13434.
HINT: See server log for query details.

I waited an hour and just tried the import again, this time it worked great.

Maybe there should be a longer timeout?

Problem solved as I see it.

@Tony_Stark Hello again. Thanks for the report and the update:

Yes, there is definitely some improvements to be made in this area. We seem to have an intermittent issue with importing some pools. The following forum thread, started by @lightglitch, reported what looks like the same issue and has some insight on how we might improve things going forward. In that thread @lightglitch points to a potential bug that could be the culprit of these intermittent import issues.

I have now shifted focus to looking at the pool side of things more so will endeavour to have another look at this once I’m done with my current and related issue. However db deadlock issues can be ‘non trivial’ so it may just come down to finding a reproducer, and the time of course, before we root out the true nature of this intermittent behaviour.