I’m running the following HP Microserver Gen 8 configuration.
- HP Microserver Gen 8 E3-1265LV2
- RAM 2GB + 8GB RAM = 10GB
- Bay 1 / 1 x Sandisk UltraPlus NB SSD 128GB - 2.5" (for Rockstor)
- Bay 2 to 4 / 3 x 4TB SATA WesternDigital Red (WD40EFRX) -> RAID5
- ODD Bay (currently empty)
The reason for having the SDD running in bay 1 is to get the system booted with no problems / boot sequence creates no problems.
I’ve the following change in mind:
- use Bay 1-4 for my storage, buying one extra WD RED 4TB, therefore the SSD (with Rockstor on it) needs to move into ODD bay, which gives the problem of proper booting based on HP.
A work around could be a USB key with a modified bootloader in order to point to the right ODD bay/port.
- Any good documentation & recommendation for newbies how to do this in the best way?
I’ve looked up on different websites, but got confused.
The other question maybe @phillxnet could help (as well)?
- Does it make sense (advantages/disadvantages) to move from currently Raid 5 to Raid 6 while having possibly 4 drives instead of 3? (considering the known Raid5/6 issues with BTRFS)