Identifying disks on install

Please forgive my newbie ignorance. I am trying to install my first Rokstor with a ton of drives but the installer only gives me /sda /sdb etc so I can’t tell which disk is my SSD as there are four disks with 1tb and they all look the same. I can get a command line from the installer that brings up grub but can’t work out how to find which drive corresponds to my sdd. As it’s a NAS I want all drives plugged in when I install. Any ideas greatly appreciated please :slight_smile:

@danny2hats welcome to the Rockstor community. I don’t believe there is a foolproof method to identify which drive will be /sda or /sdb when booting up, as it depends on in which sequence drives are identified by the system (depending on how many or what type of controllers you’re using, etc.).

If you need to be sure up front, then the best choice is to install with other “like” drives implugged (in your case, unplug the other three 1TB SSD drives), or all other ones that are not considered for the OS install. Rockstor manages the block devices using the UUID (you will see threads about challenges with that when using certain controllers, etc.) so the device names are not that relevant (if they were to change, after plugging other drives in).

Once the installation of Rockstor is complete, shutting it down, plugging the drives back in and then boot back up would allow you right away to then configure the pools/shares, etc.

Maybe you can use a smaller SSD you have for the install, because the Rockstor footprint itself is not really that big, and in the context of Rockstor’s philosophy of separating OS from data, you’d be wasting probably close to the Terabyte of storage of that one drive.

3 Likes

Turns out only plugging in the drive I wanted to install to was dead a simple solution :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry just read your reply properly. That’s a damn good point on the boot disk, you’re right. Will find a smaller one. Thanks for your help, I’m sorted now, I think.

4 Likes

As I learned in a previous thread, Rockstor uses disk serial numbers to control things. I took 14 drives and reconnected them with a different HBA recently and Rockstor didn’t care that the physical order of things in the hardware was changed at all. It just worked when turned on!

:sunglasses:

2 Likes