I've got a VM with 1TB disk & when I go to Disks > Scan - I get this

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 272, in post
return self._update_disk_state()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 145, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 218, in _update_disk_state
p.uuid = btrfs_uuid(dob.name)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py”, line 985, in btrfs_uuid
[BTRFS, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/%s’ % disk])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 109, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = [’/sbin/btrfs’, ‘filesystem’, ‘show’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/sdb3’]. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [‘ERROR: not a valid btrfs filesystem: /dev/disk/by-id/sdb3’, ‘’]

@samw Welcome to Rockstor forum.
This is a side effect of the disk not having a by-id name which is a consequence of the the VM not assigning a unique serial to that device. Try adding a serial in the VM manager so that the drive Rockstor see will have it. That was that device can be tracked, irrespective of it’s filesystem or partition state.

We have a documentation issue for this:

Hope that helps.

Normally for data drives there is an indication of this requirement in a big red warning on the disk page. But in the case of the system disk this message currently fails to show with a few other side effects such as this.

1 Like