Mellanox ConnectX-3 / MFT Tools install fails

Hi

Just installed Rockstor and want to use Mellanox ConnectX-3 (MCX354A-FCBT) on that system.
Some details about my setup:

cat /etc/system-release

Rockstor release 3.8.16 (Core)

uname -a

Linux rockstor 4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

lspci | grep Mell

06:00.0 Network controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3]

ConnectX-3 is using CentOS Inbox driver (mlx4_en: Mellanox ConnectX HCA Ethernet driver v2.2-1 (Feb 2014)

since i need to update Firmware in those Adapters, i need to install Mellanox Firmware Tools (MFT)
when doing so, i get this error message: (using latest Mellanox MFT mft-4.8.0-26-x86_64-rpm.tgz)

./install.sh

-E- There are missing packages that are required for installation of MFT.
-I- You can install missing packages using: yum install kernel-devel-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

then

yum install kernel-devel-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror
Rockstor-Testing
rockstor
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

• base: xxx
  • epel: xxx
  • extras: xxx
  • updates: xxx
    No package kernel-devel-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64 available.
    Error: Nothing to do

Feedback is very much appreciated

regards

@AlphaLinux Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Our kernel packages are main line copied over from elrepo kernel-ml you could try downloading the required devel package “kernel-devel-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64” and installing it directly from the local fs.

Looks like in this case we have failed to copy over their devel counterpart package to the rockstor-testing repo. That is in the realm of project lead @suman.

Hope that helps.

installing kernel-ml-devel-4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64.rpm did the trick :wink:

thanks

1 Like

What’s the recommended way to update/replace the Mellanox Inbox driver (MLNX_EN) ?

I’m trying to run a similar setup. I’m having issues too while trying to install the Mellanox MFT Tools.

Where you able to get you OpenSM system running?

Hi
i do connect them in Back-2-Back fashion with running just Ethernet on them; so i do not need OpenSM

regards,

that will take off all features from InfiniBand and RDMA.
so there is no gain of latency and can not use as real remote cache for video editing.

I may not be correct on this. So I’m going to try it. Will post soon.