Multiple system errors after update

Brief description of the problem

I updated to 3.9.2-57 Yesterday, I do not remember the previous version I was running but I haven’t updated in over a year so I assume it was quite old. After the update I couldn’t access any shares from windows so I did some investigating and found that Samba was disabled, When I try to turn Samba on I get the following error. I also tried to acess my data from SFTP and two shares are completely empty, One of them says it contains 800GB of data. (Note: As of writing this I double checked that the folder was empty, The /export/share folder is, however the /mnt2 seems to contain the missing data.)
I’m also getting Data tables warnings, “DataTables warning: table id=users-table - Cannot reinitialise DataTable. For more information about this error, please see 3. Warning: Cannot reinitialise DataTable” and “DataTables warning: table id=sftp-shares-table - Cannot reinitialise DataTable. For more information about this error, please see 3. Warning: Cannot reinitialise DataTable”.
Also this error when I try to edit a shares permissions "Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/shares/6/acl "
I’m pretty new to linux and unfamilar with Rockstor so any help would be appreciated.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

Update to 3.9.2-57, Then attempt to turn Samba on

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/smart_manager/views/samba_service.py”, line 123, in post
systemctl(“smb”, command)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/services.py”, line 77, in systemctl
return run_command([SYSTEMCTL_BIN, switch, service_name], log=True)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 176, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/systemctl start smb. rc = 1. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [‘Job for smb.service failed. See “systemctl status smb.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.’, ‘’]

@Cameron_D Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Did you by chance reboot when you thought the update was done. We have has a number of folks reboot mid update; unfortunately this will likely leave the system in an indeterminate state re the package versions. We don’t yet give a good / accurate indication of if an update is ongoing.

Re:

This could be the above rebooting during update or we have had a few reports on the forum of failed samba updates from upstream. Take a look at for example:

We have a ‘pale’ search icon in the top right of the Web-UI of the forum for other instances of this.

This is again likely due to a failed or interrupted update. Mounts normally take place on boot so this is consistent with a reboot mid update or a failed package update.

These can be averted by simply refreshing the page within your browser. They come from a difference in what is cached in the browser and what is likely updated on the server end. The browser refresh forces retrieval of the newer version of Web-UI code that likely came with the update and has yet to be retrieved by the browser.

The output, as the error message suggests, of:

systemctl status smb.service
# and
journalctl -xe

should help to diagnose what’s happened here. Not also that if you were upgrading from a very old version then that may well cause other issues. But for now if you post the output, run as the root users, of the above 2 commands that may help to see whats gone wrong.

Also

yum update

may well also help in this situation, and if not then it may shed more light on the failed update.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes