New Build parts ordered :)

Well, I decided not to use my old PC for a NAS in the end.
It’s overpowered and oversized, drawing 100-150W in an ATX mid-tower.
And it gives me an excuse to build from scratch:

• Case : Fractal Design Node 304 (black)
  • Mobo : Asus P11C-I
  • CPU : Pentium G5400
  • Memory : 2 x 16GB ECC
  • OS drive : Samsung 860 EVO 250GB
  • Data drives : 4 x 4TB Seagate NAS drives I had lying around from upgrading the ReadyNAS

Might have gone OTT on the memory… oh well, future proof…
I saved money by not getting a case with hot swap bays or an internal optical bay. I figured I shouldn’t be changing disks often, and I’ve got an old laptop DVD RW drive in a USB enclosure.
If I want to go to 6 data drives, I can bounce the OS to an M.2 drive (which I didn’t go for for now - (4x the price!) or get a PCIe SATA card for more ports.

The stuff should arrive next week. Looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

Also getting a new UPS. Given that the power goes off every now and then here, and I suspected the current one was just a glorified surge protector, I though it was a good idea.
I replaced the battery 2 months ago, it had cracked open and was dry as a bone. No sign of leakage though…

So I thought I’d test it with just the router, switch, modem and monitor plugged in.
Switched off at the wall, and everything went out like a light :frowning:
I hadn’t really pushed the boat out on it, so after 9 years that’s not too bad.

3 Likes

@HarryHUK Nice. Hope we get some pics and reports once this is all together.

Re:

If you are going to have Rockstor manage this UPS (potentially for all machines on the network), probably best, then make sure the new one is NUT compatible:

https://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

On setting up a directly connected UPS see our “UPS / NUT Setup” doc section:

http://rockstor.com/docs/ups-setup/ups_setup.html

It’s not widely appreciated that NUT can also indicate power failure to other machines on the network and orchestrate a systematic shutdown of those machines as well. Obviously the switch/network gear has to also be on this same UPS which you seem to have already setup which is nice.

Just a thought.

2 Likes

Cheers, yes, that’s the plan. Getting an APC BackUps Pro 900VA, which has USB, which should work.

1 Like