New rockstor instead of the destroyed

Brief description of the problem

The USB with the old Rockstor on Centos7 died. Installed the latest version on a new disk. I pressed rescan on the disks and got an error

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

• install new version Rockstor
  • in Web-UI click RESCAN on tab disks

How to connect data drives without losing information?

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 41, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 418, in post return self._update_disk_state() ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/usr/lib64/python3.11/contextlib.py", line 81, in inner return func(*args, **kwds) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 115, in _update_disk_state attached_disks = scan_disks(MIN_DISK_SIZE) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 330, in scan_disks blk_dev_properties: dict = { ^ File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 336, in for key, value in ( ^^^^^^^^^^ ValueError: not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)

Hi @grif , and welcome to the forum!

The issue you’re seeing looks like a recently fixed bug in our testing channel; Rockstor version 5.0.11-0 and later include this fix:

I presume you have installed the ISO available on our download page (Leap 15.6 base OS recommended) so you should be able to activate the Testing channel (Software update — Rockstor documentation) and the update Rockstor to the latest version (5.0.12-0). You should then no longer see this error.

This testing channel release is very close to making it as our next stable release so you can switch to the stable channel after that if you prefer.

Let us know how it goes or if you’d like more details on any of the above.

the update helped. Please tell me how to connect old drives correctly now so as not to lose data

disk import gave an error
Possibly a permissions issue. How to reset old disk permissions via web-ui

When I try to enable a domain group on a share, it gives an incomprehensible error
any change of group or user results in this error. owner root:root

these shares were created in the old rockstor system. and were not disabled correctly.
how can I fix this?

Were you able to see any messages in the log related to this error (/opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log)?

[26/Jul/2024 14:05:38] ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:377] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info /dev/disk/by-id/usb-Netac_OnlyDisk_FC30130441DA4463-0:0. rc = 1. stdout = [‘smartctl 7.4 2023-08-01 r5530 [x86_64-linux-6.4.0-150600.23.7-default] (SUSE RPM)’, ‘Copyright (C) 2002-23, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org’, ‘’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Netac_OnlyDisk_FC30130441DA4463-0:0: Unknown USB bridge [0x0dd8:0x3708 (0x200)]’, ‘Please specify device type with the -d option.’, ‘’, ‘Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary’, ‘’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘’]
[26/Jul/2024 14:05:38] ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:377] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info /dev/disk/by-id/usb-_USB_DISK_3.0_0700294C2B3FD129-0:0. rc = 1. stdout = [‘smartctl 7.4 2023-08-01 r5530 [x86_64-linux-6.4.0-150600.23.7-default] (SUSE RPM)’, ‘Copyright (C) 2002-23, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org’, ‘’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/usb-_USB_DISK_3.0_0700294C2B3FD129-0:0: Unknown USB bridge [0x13fe:0x6300 (0x100)]’, ‘Please specify device type with the -d option.’, ‘’, ‘Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary’, ‘’, ‘’]. stderr = [‘’]

I don’t see any other errors

Do you see the domain users/group in the User/Group screens of the WebUI? I assume you do, since you mentioned earlier that the update seemed to have fixed the “joining error”.

Only groups of domain. in users list only local users.

ok, I am at the end of my limited knowledge here, sorry. @Flox, I was under the impression that if the domain is successfully joined, it should also start enumerating the domain users/groups, or is that not within the WebUI?

my question is how can I use the old shared folder in a new installed RockStor in a new domain

изображение

@grif Your indicated (in green console text) errors look like this is just a Web-UI auth issue.

Try refreshing your Browser, or closing and re-opening it. Can you also give more info on what lead to this state. And what Rockstor version this happened with. I’ve seen similar on-occasions when logging out and back-in.

The indicated access_token exception concerns how some Web-UI related elements contact the back-end. Last resort is to stop and start all rockstor services:

systemctl stop rockstor*
systemctl start rockstor-bootstrap.service

(or just reboot) as these procedures switch out/refreshes some self-authentication elements. And the browser refresh can be required to pick-up the newer code: if this happened directly after an rpm update: where we also perform auth refreshes.

Hope that helps.

We are due to improve things in this area in our next testing phase as we had to do some less-than-ideal modifications to accommodate for the massive backend dependency updates that were established in this current testing phase - now coming to an end.

I rebooted the system many times, and every time I go to any “storage” menu item, I get the same set of errors in “/opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log”
Perhaps I should test the filesystem somehow?
I was unable to change the owner and group through the web-ui. so I changed them via terminal. maybe this is the problem?

@grif Hello again.
Re:

I don’t think that is it in this case. At least not for the data pool/s.

OK, that could well mess-up the Web-UI login, or it’s user’s ability to do stuff. You may be better off starting out from scratch on this one: i.e. installing from scratch to get a clean system Pool at least; fully updating to latest testing (we are in stable Release Candidate (RC) phase there currently) and then importing your data pool again. Assuming you have no data on the existing system pool that is, i.e. only the system and have heeded the warnings against creating shares on this ‘ROOT’ Pool. As fresh-installs wipe completely all that is on the chosen install drive: so also choose very carefully.

Changing user permissions via command line can mess things up if related to the Web-UI admin user. They are represented by a real/regular system user also. So this may well be related. But in the background we use the root user as they are required to do some pool/share/service management that we provide Web-UI components for.

Also a note on this forum thread: we do not currently reflect, within the Web-UI, the actual user.group of an imported Pool’s Shares. Everything is listed as root.root: where as the actual filesystem subvolumes (Shares in Rockstor speak) user.group will have been maintained from it’s prior install and visible at the command line only - initially. As a result it can also be necessary in some situations to re-establish the Web-UI as the source of truth by re-asserting re-setting within the Web-UI the actual user.group of Shares that is desired.

You also mentioned this system as having once been an older Rockstor instance. If that was a CentOS based variant (many years back now V3 or earlier) then heed the following How-To:

Migrating from Legacy V3 to V4 “Built on openSUSE: Migrating from Legacy V3 to V4 “Built on openSUSE” — Rockstor documentation

A section possibly relevant to your problems here is the: “Users and default group” section. CentOS and openSUSE are very different in their defaults in that respect. And we have followed our upstream defaults predominantly in this regard.

As long as you have not used the system Pool, labelled ROOT by default and also not by default imported by our new installers, for any data - your existing data Pools should be as-was: along with the changes you may have made to them via cli changes that is. But I’m assuming here that you may have modified some user element that restricts the systems ability to talks to itself some-how. And as that is very complex you may be better off starting from scratch and re-importing the data Pool/s. But do update to latest v5 testing before doing anything as we are almost at the next stable release in current testing. Just take care to read any future changelogs as we are soon to being another fresh testing run where stuff is likely to break again.

Just trying to get you up-and-running again with Web-UI as quickly as possible again. As there has been quite some experimentation to-date. But be super carefull with not accidentally choosing the wrong drive. So folks even disconnect all data drives (system in power-down state) before doing anything as radical as a re-install. And only re-connect the data drives (powered down state again) once the new system is updated.

Hope that helps. And my apologies for not being able to help more on this front: I’m not up at all on AD stuff bar some rough concepts. And don’t worry about those smartmontools errors: they are noise about it not recognising some USB bride you have.