/opt/rockstor/etc/nginx/nginx.conf empty?

Hi,

My rockstor is broken. I am able to access the share, and everything is good in that regard.

However I cannot access the web interface.

I found this which describes my problem very well,

And I narrowed it down to this file being empty.

/opt/rockstor/etc/nginx/nginx.conf

How would that have become empty, and how should I populate it?

Plus how should I copy a file such as that to a linux machine with no UI?

@petermc Hello again.

Yes this is a funny one as itā€™s cause has yet to be established and Iā€™ve seen it myself: though only very rarely. Since itā€™s come up again Iā€™ve created an issue so it doesnā€™t get forgotten:

As for a work around I have just done the following that hopefully mimics the build processes creation of this file from itā€™s template file: /opt/rockstor/conf/nginx.conf.in

cat /opt/rockstor/conf/nginx.conf.in | sed -e 's/\${buildout:directory}/\/opt\/rockstor/g' -e 's/\${init-gunicorn:bind}/127.0.0.1/g' -e 's/\${init-gunicorn:port}/8000/g' > /opt/rockstor/etc/nginx/nginx.conf

The above command does 3 stream edits (using sed) that in turn replace placeholders for their production values. The command must be run as root on your Rockstor instance so if you donā€™t trust it donā€™t run it.

Once the new file is in place (/opt/rockstor/etc/nginx/nginx.conf) you will need to restart your Rockstor service via:

systemctl restart rockstor

or just restart your Rockstor machine.

See how that goes and let us know if it gets you up and running again.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to advise the following on the resulting file to remove group and other read access.

chmod 600 /opt/rockstor/etc/nginx/nginx.conf
2 Likes

Thanks. I will try that tonight and report back.

Some extra information. I have an old core 2 duo HP machine that I using, and it has seemed pretty stable so far.

However yesterday for some reason I started getting 5 beeps on bios. I reseated the RAM and the machine started after that.

Might be related. Could have caused some corruption. But on the flip side might have nothing to do with it.

@phillxnet, I have run the scripts as you suggested above, and everything is up and running again. Thanks.

1 Like

@petermc Thatā€™s great news, thanks for confirming the ā€˜work aroundā€™. Iā€™ve updated the referenced issue accordingly.

Phillip. you are such a lifesaver! Yesterday one of my devices said a HD died and I removed it in the web app (probably not the right thing to do) I tried to restart the system using the power button in the web app and lost access, I still had terminal access though. I searched the community and found this thread.

Copied the ā€œworkaroundā€ and itā€™s back up recovered the missing HD and all is well.

Thank you Sir
Chas

@kysdaddy Hello again and thanks for your report.

Glad the work around helped and well done sorting your disk problem. We still have a way to go on the disk replacement / maintenance features and have at least the following in the queue:

Bit by Bit.

Had the same problem today - noticed webui decining connections.
Found this thread (github), script fixed it.
Thx, phillxnet

@Zonk Hello again and thanks for the feedback.

Shame we havenā€™t gotten to the bottom of it yet. But all in good time.

1 Like

Hi all!

Had the exact same issue after a power outage this morning (thunderstorm hit) and the script worked as a charm.

Cheers!

1 Like