Rebalance Fails

Version: 3.8.16-0

Balance fails with:

“Error running a command. cmd = [‘btrfs’, ‘balance’, ‘start’, ‘–full-balance’, ‘/mnt2/bacula-phl-pool’]. rc = 1. stdout = [’’]. stderr = [“ERROR: error during balancing ‘/mnt2/bacula-phl-pool’: Read-only file system”, ‘There may be more info in syslog - try dmesg | tail’, ‘’]”

Had to unmount and remount the filesystem to get and RW again.

Running the rebalance command from the CLI works without issue.

Update: I was wrong about this working from the CLI. It appears to have only worked that one time. Additional attempts to rebalance via the CLI have failed.

The array is now completely non-functional. It becomes read-only as soon as you attempt to write to it and the following message appears in syslog:

Feb 3 08:46:51 bacula-sd kernel: BTRFS: error (device sdc) in btrfs_create_pending_block_groups:10321: errno=-27 unknown
Feb 3 08:46:51 bacula-sd kernel: BTRFS info (device sdc): forced readonly

@johnavp1989 Hello again. Thanks for the update. This is purely in the btrfs realm now so not Rockstor specific: again as much info on the setup and raid levels / hw as possible may help forum members with assisting you.
ie:

btrfs fi show
btrfs fi df /mnt2/<poolname>
btrfs fi usage /mnt2/test-pool

Although my advise would be to first retrieve what data you require before proceeding with any repair / rebuild as the read only response is a typical fail over in btrfs on encountering issues and if they can’t be resolved your situation may deteriorate further.

Hope that helps.

@phillxnet Hello. Yes this does appear to be an issue with BTRFS or possibly an interaction between BTRFS and the HBAs. The other server that I removed RockStor from I booted up with Ubuntu 16.04an d created a BTRFS array and I have the same issue so clearly not a RockStor problem.

I’m a bit surprised since the HBA’s are SAS 2308’s in IT mode.

1 Like