Rock-on requests

+1 to something like OwnCloud.  The use-case is easily being able to provide a place for others to put files on your storage, for you to easily provide files to others without them needing to learn something new (aunt hilda isn’t going to learn NFS anytime soon).

@Ted Can you elaborate on this? Please explain the usecases so I can understand what’s requested here.

I love to have tons of applications like the ones we can get and easily installed found on QNAP and Synology. To start I would like to have the same options on these NAS Commercial offerings on Rockstor.

As I am aware that all of them cannot be enabled at the same time I would like to request (Order is not strict) and some of them should be part of the base NAS instead of Rock-on:

1.) Asterisk
2.) OwnCloud
3.) Mobile apps on Iphone and Android to manage and monitor my NAS remotely and even access my fles / folders
4.) Backup features to replicate on remote NAS or external USB Drives (Similar to Crash Plan)
5.) LDAP Server
6.) Radius Server
7.) Syslog Server
8.) DHCP, NTP and DNS Servers
9.) IPv6 support
10.) Be able to change IP address of the NAS without breaking the access via SSL.
11.) Web Server to add my own web portals.
12.) Perl
13.) Maria DB
14.) PHPAdmin
15.) Print Server
16.) Wiki (Dokuwiki, Wordpress, etc)
17.) Inventory Management Application
18.) Ticket Management application
19.) E-Commerce App
20.) Sugar CRM App
21.) BTSync
22.) File Manager
23.) Video Application
24.) Music Application
25.) Photo Application
26.) WebDAV access

3 Likes

I would like to add:

• Firewall for the NAS (IPv4 and IPv6)
  • Crashplan
  • Automatic E-mail and SMS Alerts
  • Again Mobile Apps to manage, monitor and access your NAS!!!
1 Like

Zimbra is a collaborative/email/docs etc. It could be installed using a docker. (www.zimbra.com) or (https://hub.docker.com/r/ecc12/zimbra/~/dockerfile/)

Virtualization is just that offer up a way to create a VM from the cloud. Since your using dockers already you could just set up a way that we could create and add any docker we wanted instead of pre-configured ones.

This is definitely the next main milestone with Rock-ons. There will be preconfigured ones with better support and then a generic interface to run arbitrary containers. We should also have a transition path for some of these to get into preconfigured category.

Next couple of updates are going to be mainly about stability and reliability. But, we’ll look into adding new Rock-ons soon after that.

What about FOG Project?
FOG is an open source computer cloning/mgmt. solution that would fit nicely into the Rock-On library.
Check it out here…
https://www.fogproject.org/

2 Likes

+1

The Synology Cloud Sync package is pretty nice. It includes different plugins, including a new one for Amazon Cloud Drive, which lets Prime users, for example, backup unlimited photos for free.

for me only one important package is missing.

• CrashPlan
  • S3 Support or any other online storage (google gloud storage, microsoft azure store or whatever to offload a backup easily

Recently came across rclone, whose author is working on Amazon Cloud Drive support. Might make the basis for a useful, Cloud Sync-like, rock-on?

1 Like

Amazon Cloud Drive support now available on rclone.

Oh nifty. Rclone looks pretty robust (just reading docs) and good open source alternative to Syno’s Cloud Drive stuff.

It would be nice if it include a basic Linux GUI for configuring the services and a cron, which doesn’t seem to be on the roadmap…

It does have a command line interface of course, which includes integration with a little webserver where needed (for example, to get authentication credentials from amazon).

Not sure how to integrate Go code like this in a web app though.

Just started using Rockstor and it is perfect, bar the lack of available Rockons. Personally, I’d like to see:

Sabnzbd
Sickbeard
Couch Potato
Something to take control of my network (DHCP/NTP/DNS)

I would say Crashplan, but I found the client to be a resource hog. AFAIK, bacula provides a similar service that I may look into.

I would like to see the integration of VMware Tools. With this it would be allow people like me who run it in ESXi to have more control of the VM. I have not run into any issues running it in a VM, but having those tools installed allows ESXi and vSphere to directly control the OS.

for vmware tools just do:

yum install open-vm-tools

press y and you should be good to go.

1 Like

Thanks. I had seen a few tool install options but I wasn’t sure if they would work with this.

another nice thing would be sycthing as alternative to btsync as its not limited for paying users and open

i myself can set this up using docker but other users might want to have some automated process in form of a rock-on

@felixbrucker Yes syncthing is rather nice, and written in the new shiny Go language, built in concurrency and all. It was ranked 6th in some kind of go code quality rating projects (written in Go of course) so that’s encouraging. Very actively developed also and runs on pretty much anything. It is however already available as a Rock-on. Even has a Syncthing Rock-on setup guide in docs / manual. I don’t know how much attention this Rock-on has got of late but it might be worth checking it out as I know at one time it was broken due to a port change upstream early on that broke the Rock-on implementation. I’m pretty sure this was fixed a while back though. Given @felixbrucker you are already familiar with syncthing (and regularly demonstrate technical prowess (at least on this forum)) it would be good to have your opinion on weather it’s fit for purpose or needs more attention. Given the importance and significance of the syncthing project I at least thing Rockstor should have a nice clean implementation of it.

And I believe our illustrious project lead @suman is a syncthing user also.

haha nice, havent checked the current list beforehand :smiley:

im not using it right now but might be when finally migrating my laptop to linux as a sync for day to day data.

i will check it out soon :wink: