Rockons not starting

I recently restarted my rockstor nas and now the rockon service doesnt start

The error in the log seems to be related to couch potato failing to update despite the fact I don’t even have it installed

Any help would be appreciated

@Sam_Kemp Welcome to the Rockstor community.

We have had some issues with the rockon repository timing out as rockstor gains installs. We are in the process of hopefully managing this better going forward though. In this case your logs may indicate this failure on arbitrary rockons files, depending on which one it fails on at the time.

Really we need more info here to track this down. Take a look at your log files to see if their are any more clues:

From the Web-UI:
System - Logs Manager - Rockstor Logs

The file itself can be viewed in the terminal via

less /opt/rockstor/var/log/rockstor.log 

Pasting errors that look to be related to should help forum members help out here.

Also a paste of the exact message that you receive on the Web-UI, if any, would be good.

Hope that helps.

The Web-UI doesn’t provide any error when trying to start the rockons and it seems my nas has turned itself off since I posted this which is odd.

Relivent log
[07/May/2019 16:59:23] ERROR [storageadmin.util:44] exception: Errors occurred while processing updates for following Rock-ons. CouchPotato: ['Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(couchpotato) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(CouchPotato). Uninstall it first and try again.', 'Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/gunicorn-0.16.1-py2.7.egg/gunicorn/workers/sync.py", line 34, in run\n    client, addr = self.socket.accept()\n  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/socket.py", line 202, in accept\n    sock, addr = self._sock.accept()\nerror: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable\n']
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py", line 106, in post
    self._create_update_meta(r, rockons[r])
  File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py", line 145, in inner
    return func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/rockon.py", line 267, in _create_update_meta
    handle_exception(Exception(e_msg), self.request)
  File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/util.py", line 47, in handle_exception
    trace=traceback.format_exc())
RockStorAPIException: ['Cannot add/remove volume definitions of the container(couchpotato) as it belongs to an installed Rock-on(CouchPotato). Uninstall it first and try again.', 'Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/gunicorn-0.16.1-py2.7.egg/gunicorn/workers/sync.py", line 34, in run\n    client, addr = self.socket.accept()\n  File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/socket.py", line 202, in accept\n    sock, addr = self._sock.accept()\nerror: [Errno 11] Resource temporarily unavailable\n']

Hi there @Sam_Kemp,

Thanks a lot for the message. As you can see in this error message, you happen to have ended in a rather specific situation with “conflicting” information in Rockstor’s database. As you do not have this rock-on installed, the following command may be able to help:

/opt/rockstor/bin/delete-rockon CouchPotato

This script will erase any mention of this rock-on in Rockstor’s database, thereby freeing you from the conflict you encountered (at least I believe it can help).

As to what happened and why it happened, things are a little more obscure. As @phillxnet mentioned, there may have been a timeout happening at the wrong time leading to incomplete information in Rockstor’s database related to rock-ons. By curiosity, you mentioned you do not have CouchPotato installed currently, but what is ever installed in the past, or failed when trying to do so?

I’m planning on looking into making this area of Rockstor more robust to these situations in the future, but for the time being, the script above should be able to move you forward, pending nothing bigger is happening on your machine:

Hope this helps,

1 Like

Thank you for the reply and i hvae run the command, however my rockons still aren’t starting, I noticed the following in my log:

Relivent part of log
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Ultra_Fit_4C530001280520111015-0:0. rc = 1. stdout = ['smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)', 'Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org', '', '/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Ultra_Fit_4C530001280520111015-0:0: Unknown USB bridge [0x0781:0x5583 (0x100)]', 'Please specify device type with the -d option.', '', 'Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary', '', '']. stderr = ['']

(I wanted to upload my full log however I am getting an error about server certificate from chrome when I try and download the log)

I do not believe this error to be related to your issue (at least not directly) as it relates to the fact that your USB drive does not support SMART.

With regards to rock-ons, are you still seeing the error you posted earlier (to which I replied)?

Otherwise, I recommend following the instructions posted by @Haioken in the post listed below to see exactly what is happening when you toggle the Rock-ons service ON and OFF:

1 Like

I don’t see the couchpotato error since running the command tho
I have attatched my full log and a screenshot of what happened when I followed the instructions on @Haioken’s post

https://txt.utmg.uk/rockstor.log

I’m a bit limited in time right now but from a brief glance at your screenshot, it appears the disk that contains your rockons-root is out of space which prevents the proper initiation of docker.service.
Maybe you can try looking into how much space is used on this device…

1 Like