Rockstor 3.8.16-4 and 45 Drives' Storinator's HighPoints Rocket 750

Hi we just bought 45 Drives’ Storinator and installed Rockstor 3.8.16-4, Rockstor comes with kernel 4.8.7-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64. The driver for the HighPoints Rocket 750 sata card only supports kernels up to 4.3 :frowning:

I am just wondering when an updated driver for the HighPoints’s Rocket 750 sata card will be released to match that of the latest operating system.

I started following, http://rockstor.com/blog/diy-nas/rockstor-on-45-drives-aka-the-rockinator/ but it never build the r750.ko.

Walter

1 Like

Hello and Welcome to our community @wgriffa1!

In the past highpoint has been fast enough to release driver updates. But I just checked their site and you are right. It says supported up to 4.3. Now, the same sources may very well build on 4.8.7 kernel. @bkelly from 45Drives may have tried that already. If he doesn’t reply here, give them a call and ask.

We can also help you with building the module if you need. If drivers cannot be built on 4.8.7, you can continue to use Rockstor on 4.3. It’s just that you’ll be missing a lot of btrfs improvements that came along with recent version. If you need technical assistance with any of this, please feel free to e-mail support@rockstor.com

Hey Guys,

The current version of the driver will not build on the newest kernel Rockstor is running.

The latest kernel I have successfully installed on was 4.6.0.

I have reached out to our contact at HighPoint to get this support for kernel 4.8 added.

They are usually pretty quick and I will keep you updated.

3 Likes

Any news?

I specifically bought the Rocket 750 for it to be used on Rockstor OS :grinning:

Thanks!