'root filesystem is not BTRFS. During Rockstor installation, you must select BTRFS instead of LVM and other options for root filesystem. Please re-install Rockstor properly.'

@yukimi Quick update here on the VirtualBox video not being available.
Thanks to @suman the link should now work and the issue has now been closed.

I’ll edit my last post to include the link.

Thanks to reply for me.

Today I retry to install from fresh. Phenomenom is changed but error message is same.

(1) I did initialize all of disk first. (1 x 32GB USB2.0 stick & 4 x 1TB 7200rpm HDDs)
gdisk /dev/sdx -> o -> w -> yes
(2) set all HDD to SATA connector and USB stick to USB 2.0 port BEFORE installation.
(3) Connect USB DVD Drive to another USB port. Boot with this. (DVD is boot with UEFI)
(4) Language is English (always) . Keyboard is jp.
(5) Enable and Connect Gigabit Ethernet, Set timezone to Tokyo/Japan.
(6) Install target is USB stick 32GB. Do not select HDDs which is displayed.
(7) Pattern A is ‘whole disk’ is checked. Pattern B is not checked. (Result is same)
(8) Take about 2 hours with installation from DVD to USB and reboot from USB stick.
(9) Disconnect DVD drive from PC.
(10) Boot Rockstor but IP address is not displayed and ‘ip a’ is 192.168.1.39 (dhcp) .
(in this time logon from another PC with ssh)
(11) nginx is not started automatically.(inactive(dead)) I have to do ‘systemctl start nginx’.
(12) waiting some of minutes. nginx is start. Rockstor License and admin screen is apeared.
(13) Fill the form, check the box, confirm and go -> Houston (root filesystem is…)

Rockstor installer has select LVM? I can not imagine what is i am wrong…

[root@rockstor ~]# lsblk -o NAME,SERIAL,SIZE,TRAN,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT
NAME SERIAL SIZE TRAN TYPE FSTYPE LABEL MOUNTPOINT
sda MSK5215H1HD52G 931.5G sata disk
sdb MSE5215V1HALUW 931.5G sata disk btrfs
sdc MSK5215H1JR1VG 931.5G sata disk
sdd MSK5215H1HB8HG 931.5G sata disk
sde 20090815198100000 29.3G usb disk
├─sde1 200M part vfat /boot/efi
├─sde2 500M part ext4 /boot
└─sde3 28.7G part LVM2_member
├─rockstor_rockstor-swap 3G lvm swap [SWAP]
└─rockstor_rockstor-root 25.7G lvm xfs /

Additional info:
[root@rockstor ~]# journalctl | nc termbin.com 9999
http://termbin.com/z1fq
[root@rockstor ~]# dmesg | nc termbin.com 9999
http://termbin.com/lhvi
[root@rockstor ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo | nc termbin.com 9999
http://termbin.com/1r71

Motherboard : http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/C70M1/

@yukimi First off well done on exactly noting down the steps.

This is a painfully long install. I would strongly suggest that you first familiarise yourself with a successful install via a virtual machine arrangement, ie KVM or Virtual Box runningn on a more modern desktop / laptop first as doing an install this way takes only a few minutes. This way you can what is supposed to happen.

Anyway I would say that between these steps:

You need to do the step detailed in Wiping the system disk in the Reinstalling Rockstor howto.
That is make sure you go through the “Reclaim space”, “Delete all”, “Reclaim space” sequence detailed there. You may have to un-select then re-select the usb disk as the target to initiate these dialogs. This way you are forcing the installer to remove all partitions and start from fresh. This should result in the default behaviour returning as it looks like you existing partitions are encouraging this uefi lvm install. Either that or ensure you are booting using bios not uefi as maybe that is throwing things in the wrong direction.

I know you state initialising the disks but I am unsure of what this means, ie did you actually remove all partitions and boot sector info or simply lay down a fresh gpt partition table.

I would say your best bet is to ensure bios boot not uefi and see that helps. But first go through an entire install and setup in a virtual machine, you only need a single 8GB SATA drive in that virtual machine to observe the install and then you know what is expected of a working install.

Again I suspect that this behaviour is purely down to the slowness of you hardware, it does however take Rockstor, after first install particularly, a good minute of 2 to go through all it’s initial setup procedures. I have recently done a full fresh 3.8.15 iso install and confirm that this was not necessary. It is the case that the console doesn’t display the ip until after the initial minute or 2 setup has completed. There after a few carriage returns should yield an updated message which contains the ip. Again I have recently confirmed this with the last iso. Incidentally there have been some improvements recently that should make it into the next release that help to reduce this initial startup time.

Also try installing from and too faster devices as that is one long install time and pretty unworkable really. I have had quite a bit of success using the SanDisk Extreem USB 3.0 as even in a usb 2.0 port it’s pretty quick and no longer care to wait the inordinate amount of time it takes to install from and too slow media. I know it’s not always a choice and the install can also get confused when installing from one usb to another but a bit of juggling with which port has priority to boot and you should be good. This way at least you avoid the super slow physical movements of DVD.

No intervention should be necessary if your network has dhcp and the ethernet is connected obviously, all network adjustments can be done from within the install later anyway if need be.

Also did I read read the logs right that there is only 2GB of RAM on this machine? That is the minimum but it’s cutting it close, especially if some is allocated to video RAM which I think is the case with this graphics chip. You could try reducing to a minimum the memory reserved for the graphics to help keep you a little less below the minimum and leave as much free as possible for disk caching etc.

Let us know how it goes but do try a quick VirtualBox or KVM virtual machine install first to re-assure yourself of the minimum steps required. Any try finding faster media to install from and too. Some USB keys are painfully slow and Rockstor is a full CentOS, not a cut down OS as many NAS installs are.

Well done for persevering but you may be giving yourself an overly hard time with some of these slow hw choices ie DVD install and slow usb stick and bar min or below memory (if I have that right).

Now I’m back to lab only weekend. Sorry for late to reply and thanks to your comment.

I was bought SanDisk Extreme USB3.0 32GB and 4GB DDR3 memory at Akiba.
It is very effective to my target machine. I guess Rockstor installer used swap on USB memory at old configuration.
Thanks to nice suggestion.

I had try to install with VirtualBox at home but No freely Windows PC and I had failed to install VB to Debian Jessie. Skipped.

Motherboard has UEFI and some of compatibility mode only, DBAN did not boot with this.
(no investigated with this issue)
Today I used parted for initialize harddisks with Rockstor. Partation was erased.

I re-installed Rockstor again. In this process I deleted all partitions on SanDisk USB.
Finished install, reboot Rockstor, Registering EULA and hostname. Houston again.

Certainly ‘root filesystem is not BTRFS’. But How to avoid this problem?
UEFI-native (cheap) motherboard are wrong choice? (I know serverboard has Legacy-BIOS…)

I wonder why only sdb has btrfs after installation?

lsblk -o NAME,SERIAL,SIZE,TRAN,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,MOUNTPOINT
NAME SERIAL SIZE TRAN TYPE FSTYPE LABEL MOUNTPOINT
sda MSK5215H1HD52G 931.5G sata disk
sdb MSE5215V1HALUW 931.5G sata disk btrfs
sdc MSK5215H1JR1VG 931.5G sata disk
sdd MSK5215H1HB8HG 931.5G sata disk
sde AA010924160849111957 29.2G usb disk
├─sde1 200M part vfat /boot/efi
├─sde2 500M part ext4 /boot
└─sde3 28.6G part LVM2_member
├─rockstor-root 25.6G lvm xfs /
└─rockstor-swap 2.9G lvm swap [SWAP]
sr0 KX3F2E00106 1024M usb rom

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 40, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 272, in post
return self._update_disk_state()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.6.11-py2.7.egg/django/db/transaction.py”, line 371, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 62, in _update_disk_state
disks = scan_disks(settings.MIN_DISK_SIZE)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 120, in scan_disks
base_root_disk = root_disk()
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 768, in root_disk
raise NonBTRFSRootException(msg)
NonBTRFSRootException: ‘root filesystem is not BTRFS. During Rockstor installation, you must select BTRFS instead of LVM and other options for root filesystem. Please re-install Rockstor properly.’

This is workaround for my situation:

(1) In Rockstor installer, choose manual partitioner.
(2) Need to choose btrfs from pull-down menu. (default is lvm. maybe it in UEFI-mode)
(3) Create Rockstor partition automatic.

I can goes out of Houston now. Thank you!

1 Like

@yukimi Well done, looks like you’ve pinned this one down now. As a result I’ve opened an issue to address this finding in the docs:

Out of curiosity and for future reference how long did the install take once you had the 4 GB RAM and the fancy new USB key? That usb key model by the way is essentially an ssd on a usb stick as it contains a usb3.0-to-sata bridge connected to a proper wear levelling controller. And even has limited SMART capability, although it requires a custom smart option to enable it:

As an aside here you could try the Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) on the debian as it’s a rather nice GUI front end to the linux native KVM virtual machine layer:

I have the same problem as yukumi, even though I’m not using UEFI.
I tried the workaround and also creating the partitions manually, but it won’t install when I chose btrfs as the device type for the /boot partition.

Any ideas?

[root@rockstor ~]# lsblk -o NAME,SERIAL,SIZE,TRAN,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL NAME SERIAL SIZE TRAN TYPE FSTYPE LABEL sda QM00015 1G sata disk sr0 QM00003 729M sata rom iso9660 Rockstor 3 x86_64 vda 16G disk ââvda1 500M part ext4 ââvda2 1.6G part swap ââvda3 13.9G part btrfs rockstor_rockstor

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py", line 40, in _handle_exception yield File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 272, in post return self._update_disk_state() File "/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.6.11-py2.7.egg/django/db/transaction.py", line 371, in inner return func(*args, **kwargs) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py", line 218, in _update_disk_state p.uuid = btrfs_uuid(dob.name) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/fs/btrfs.py", line 919, in btrfs_uuid [BTRFS, 'filesystem', 'show', '/dev/disk/by-id/%s' % disk]) File "/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py", line 104, in run_command raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc) CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = ['/sbin/btrfs', 'filesystem', 'show', '/dev/disk/by-id/vda3']. rc = 1. stdout = ['']. stderr = ['']

@JannikJung0 Hello.

From the error report you problem is actually that you are trying to use a virtio drive that has no serial number and Rockstor is currently particularly inelegant in communicating this issue where the system drive is concerned; on data drives you get a big red text explanation. We have an outstanding issue to address this in the “Minimum system requirements” of the docs:

As for the /boot partition that is as indicated correct, ie /boot is expected to be ext4
and your supplied lsblk output look as I had posted earlier in this thread. So that should be OK.

Just add a unique serial to all of Rockstor’s drives you created using you virtual machine manager / hyper visor software and then boot Rockstor again as is and it should be OK.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much! That was the problem; I added a serial and the error is gone!
The error in the rockstor gui said something along the lines, that the root file system is not BTRFS, so I thought this might be related.

@JannikJung0 Great, and I’m glad it helped.

I hadn’t realised that the Web-UI error was misleading in this respect so that’s good to know. I haven’t personally gotten around to looking again at this issue given it’s easy resolution via min requirements but hopefully we can make this behaviour more friendly / informative in the future. As it goes there are some pending improvements to disk management that may make addressing this issue easier in the future but they are as yet still pending so we will have to see from there on I think.

Thanks for your report by the way.

I was getting the same error when doing the automated install. Choosing custom, picking brtfs, and letting it make the suggested partitions worked for me.

1 Like