Root share on rockstor_rockstor is over-used?

Per the attached screenshot, after reboot, I note the Root share is unmounted and that the space used is greater than the size ??

The reboot was due to a general slowdown of data transfers and then all the shares dropped off-line.

We will be migrating to the new version but have to live with this installation for now, any advice?

@MRC-MBU Hello again.

Yes, the rockstor_rockstor pool was our v3’s system pool. v4 has this named “ROOT”, from our imidiate upstream appliance builds of JeOS. They labeled the system pool “ROOT”. And confusingly we also had a ‘root’ subvol in our old CentOS v3 days.

So the ‘root’ share is not important as a mount point unless you have used it which was a good idea anyway. This old root share was actually the root users home directory !!. And I was disapointed to discover the partial name class in our new openSUSE base of the pool being called “ROOT” but I wanted to stick as closely as possible to our JeOS upstream so went with it.

If you haven’t used that root share and your system is workiing OK then you are good to ignore this ‘cosmetic’ for now given you hope to migrate soon anyway which would be highly advisable but as always easier said than done.

Space wise we don’t enforce anything on that front. But for info purposes and to potentially uncover an issue you may be having your can always execute the following as the root user:

btrfs fi usage /

The / is the systems mount point for the root of the filesystem (I know you know this but for others reading) and we, in turn, mount all pools by their volume label (rockstor_rockstor in days of old) to enable our own surfacing of those pools. We still have in place in v4.1.0-0 some hacks to represent the system pool as we do the data pools. But they are fundamentally different, especially in our “Built on openSUSE” variant as it uses boot to snapshot and the like.

But to your potential problem. The output of that command should tell us something about the space used/available. The unmounted status of the rockstor_rockstor is not a functional issue unless you have created your own shares of the system pool. In which case the will e unavailable. Best to not use the system pool unless it’s a very small home setup, and in which case the Rock-ons root is a nice candidate as it’s kind of disposable given a re-install of the Rock-ons is possible. But in more industrial / mission critical scenarios it’s best to leave the system pool to it’s own devices.

We had, in our move to openSUSE seriously considered removing all access to the system pool, but for home / small users it’s a super handy feature and we also had the remit to implement our OS switch in a like-for-like manner so those transitioning would have all the exact same functionality to ease the transition.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes