[SOLVED] After upgrading to 4.9.2-50 grub not updated

I just upgraded to version 3.9.2-50 from 3.9.1 and I was getting a note:

“You are running an unsupported kernel(4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64). Some features may not work properly. Please reboot and the system will automatically boot using the supported kernel(4.12.4-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64)”

I see 4.12.4-* kernel in /boot but seems that grub was not updated …

I have to run grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg to add 4.12.* kernel and then edit /etc/default/grub to change the value in GRUB_DEFAULT=## with the numeric entry value from running grep '^menuentry' /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Alex Mesfin

@alexmesfin Hello again. Glad you got your Stable subscription sorted.

Re the new kernel not being auto selected. Yes we have had reports of this happening but it’s rare. Mostly this just works but sometimes, for some reason, it just doesn’t get done.

Thanks for sharing your work around by the way. I think, from vague memory here though, that there was a simpler workaround. I’ve just had a quick forum search to find other instances of this where I seem to remember a member sharing their work around when this happened but can’t seem to find it currently. I’ve not seen this myself (yet) however.

If anyone else finds other workarounds for this please link to/in this post as, given it’s fresh, it should be easier to find and then it should help others looking for the same and collect our workarounds.

@alexmesfin Thanks again for you input on this one. We will soon be done with managing our own kernel updates and have this rightly in the hands of our upstream distro.

For context we do have the following bit of related code:

Hi @alexmesfin, and thanks for sharing indeed!

With an interesting timing, I’d like to say that I experienced the exact same thing just a few minutes ago.

1. Install ISO
  2. yum update
  3. Activate Stable channel and update to 3.9.2-50
  4. Reboot from the webUI and be greeted with the “kernel 4.10 not supported” message.
  5. I thus decided to reboot from the cli (reboot).
  6. On a monitor connected to the machine, I could see the 4.12 kernel being automatically selected by default and everything was set.

In case this helps others.

Cheers,

Thanks all for the reply,
I would consider this issue closed.