Testing 4.6.1 Stable on Backup setup- Create RAID 0 Bug? 11/29/23 18:59 USA central "SOLVED"

Couldn’t get server thing going, so put RockStor 4.6.1 back on, changed to Testing updates and went to 5.05 and still has the problem creating a pool as before. Next I might try the server updates using a fully installed KDE GUI and see what happens…

Still smiling while I wallow in my Linux ignorance…

LOL!

:sunglasses:

Curious that didn’t work. If @phillxnet is right and it is actually related to the kernel and corresponding btrfs programs then it might make sense to take the 5.0.5 testing version you have and use this how-to and install the latest kernel backports …

https://rockstor.com/docs/howtos/stable_kernel_backport.html

1 Like

Welp,
tried that Installing the Stable Kernel Backport — Rockstor documentation
and
no joy…

Same problem…

8-(

1 Like

just copy in W10 the public key from the link, since you seem to be able to get to that and (assuming you’re using PuTTY to connect to the instance) create a text file in your current directory with e.g…

nano rock-gpg-key.asc

paste the public key into that file, save and close.

then, while still in that directory run the rpm --import ./rock-gpg-key.asc which, hopefully then will import that public key into the rpm database.

sorry, I can’t test that right now, as I’m away from my desk, but I think that could work. @Flox if you’re “closer” can you verify?

1 Like

I will try that soon, for now, I copy the dmesg data directly after trying to create the 5 disk pool. Don’t know if this is any help or not…

Nov 28 15:48:10 RockNASBU kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: 4.48.0-ioctl (2023-03-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Nov 28 15:50:16 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS: device label 18TB-BU devid 1 transid 5 /dev/sdd scanned by (udev-worker) (13885)
Nov 28 15:50:16 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS: device label 18TB-BU devid 2 transid 5 /dev/sdc scanned by (udev-worker) (13885)
Nov 28 15:50:16 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS: device label 18TB-BU devid 3 transid 5 /dev/sde scanned by (udev-worker) (13885)
Nov 28 15:50:16 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS: device label 18TB-BU devid 4 transid 5 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY8DX37 scanned by mkfs.btrfs (13879)
Nov 28 15:50:17 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd): using crc32c (crc32c-intel) checksum algorithm
Nov 28 15:50:17 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd): use no compression
Nov 28 15:50:17 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd): disk space caching is enabled
Nov 28 15:50:17 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd): checking UUID tree
Nov 28 15:50:17 RockNASBU kernel: BTRFS info (device sdd): qgroup scan completed (inconsistency flag cleared)

It failed to attach to device sdf again… I have no idea what all that sdd stuff is at the end… Seems to me it got sdb and sdd mixed up or something…

Okay, did clean 15.5 server install, reinstalled putty 0.79, and this time it read the KEY file fine…

Then, when I put in “zypper in --no-recommends rockstor-5.0.5-0” and it got an error when this happened:

Retrieving: krb5-client-1.20.1-150500.3.3.1.x86_64.rpm

So I did the zypper verify thing and it said all was okay… hmmmm…

Rebooted setup, did the last two commands again and IT WORKED!!!

System started up, did the disk/pool/share/samba thing I do and it all worked PERFECTLY and is now running fine!!!

WOOOHOOO! HAPPY CAMPER HERE!!!

Now I can go to cataract surgery in an hour and be at ease and smiling!

WOOOHOOO!

:sunglasses: :sunglasses:

( the rest of the day I’ll be sorta half blind, but so happy now! )

“Transfer between 3disk-Raid0 to 5disk-BU setup… total happiness!”

2 Likes

That is great news!!! Good luck with your cataract surgery.

As for this:

That seems to happen occasionally, where it runs into a problem when trying to download and update (I’ve had that occur more often on TW than on Leap). But, usually, wait (and in your case reboot) and try again does the trick.

What kernel version does it now show in the upper right corner of the WebUi? So, for now we can probably assume, that the newer version of LEAP and and updated kernel took care of your problem, without any changes to Rockstor code in the disk/pool area (kind of what @phillxnet was postulating).

Keep an eye (pun intended) on it, and let’s hope this won’t pose a problem with the next release anymore.

2 Likes

Still running fine and seems to show 15.5…

Sooo, as far as my main NAS goes, I think I will wait for the official release… or maybe I will try the same server thing… we will see…
Eye is fine and hopefully I can take off the plastic cover tomorrow…

2 Likes