Unable to change User permissions

[Please complete the below template with details of the problem reported on your Web-UI. Be as detailed as possible. Community members, including developers, shall try and help. Thanks for your time in reporting this issue! We recommend purchasing commercial support for expedited support directly from the developers.]

Brief description of the problem

I’m attempting to change the permissions (Access Control) on a Shared folder

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

[write here]

Web-UI screenshot

[Drag and drop the image here]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/share_acl.py”, line 60, in post
chown(mnt_pt, options[“owner”], options[“group”], options[“orecursive”])
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/acl.py”, line 34, in chown
return run_command(cmd)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 290, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
system.exceptions.CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/bin/chown -R root:users /mnt2/Movies. rc = 1. stdout = [‘’]. stderr = [“/usr/bin/chown: changing ownership of ‘/mnt2/Movies’: Operation not permitted”, ‘’]

@Maxukabam Welcome the the Rockstor community forum.

So this is a strange one, as that looks like a perfectly legitimate command we are trying to run there:

/usr/bin/chown -R root:users /mnt2/Movies

Can you give us some history of this Share, and confirm that the same command, executed as root in the terminal, equally fails.

@Hooverdan & @Flox any ideas on this one. Could this pertain to some prior AD restrictions. @Maxukabam has this Pool previously been imported from a prior Rockstor install, or been subject to an AD setup. I’m currently a little baffled by this one: so more info/history may help.

What output, for example, do the following commands output when run as the root user in a console:

ls -la /mnt2/your-pool-name-here
ls -la /mnt2/Movies

Could you also let us know the version of the Rockstor package you are running (top right in Web-UI) and how you installed this setup.

Hope that helps, at least by way of additional info for folks to consider.

1 Like

The only other thing I could think of, and I don’t know why that should have happened is that the Movies directory has the immutable flag set, which could be checked via lsattr /mnt2/.

If it indeed has the immutable flag set (you would see an i in the attribute list in the output) then it could be removed via chattr -i /mnt2/Movies. But that is a long shot.

As per

2 Likes