Unable to see Disks

Brief description of the problem

I’m unable to see the disks in in the disk menu, even though I have the OS installed on one, and two free drives.

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

I did nothing more than install the OS, and setup the online account, but it doesn’t show anything in disks.

Web-UI screenshot

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/rest_framework_custom/generic_view.py”, line 41, in _handle_exception
yield
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 377, in post
return self._update_disk_state()
File “/opt/rockstor/eggs/Django-1.8.16-py2.7.egg/django/utils/decorators.py”, line 145, in inner
return func(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 342, in _update_disk_state
if (re.match(‘fake-serial-’, do.serial) is not None) or (
File “/usr/lib64/python2.7/re.py”, line 137, in match
return _compile(pattern, flags).match(string)
TypeError: expected string or buffer

@KennethWC Welcome to the Rockstor community

Yes this is a funny one and thanks for reporting your findings. We haven’t had any issues like this reported in this area for a bit so not really sure whats going on. I can’t match that line exactly to our current code so could your first let us know what version of Rockstor you are running.

That line normally just skips attempted smart detection on drives with a repeated or fake serial number (ie no serial so a fake is assigned by Rockstor) or drives of a certain type. But the error message suggests that do.serial is some how not a string which is strange. What is the nature of the system you have this install running on? And does it meet the Minimum system requirements.

Also it may be helpful if you could paste the output of the following command (run as root) here:

/usr/bin/lsblk -P -o NAME,MODEL,SERIAL,SIZE,TRAN,VENDOR,HCTL,TYPE,FSTYPE,LABEL,UUID

and if you precede and follow the output with a line containing only ``` it will format better in the forum.

Thanks.