Unknown internal error doing a POST to /api/update-subscriptions/activate-stable

Brief description of the problem

[Cannot complete stable update activation]

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

[Attempt to activate using code received from Rockstar in E-mail. Used three browsers on 2 platforms (Firefox on Mac, Safari on Mac, Firefox on Windows 10). Same result on all.]

Web-UI screenshot

]

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

[No discernible code or content was visible beyond what is shown in the screenshot.]
[I cancelled all the activation prompts, because they don’t work, and otherwise all Rockstor functions appear OK. I created a share and am using it normally, but paid for and wish to have stable updates.]

@shabinet Welcome to the Rockstor community and thanks for supporting Rockstor.

It may help to look in the logs via:

System - Logs Manager - “tail -n 30” on Rockstor Logs - Read log.

Directly after re-attempting to activate the subscription.

As you say, there isn’t much to go on with what has appeared.

Are you behind a firewall for instance?

Currently, at least for the next 2 to 3 weeks (holiday season) the latest testing is actually the exact same thing as the latest stable release (3.9.0-16 / 3.9.1) see update channels for how they relate. Obviously this will diverge once the next testing channel release updates get under way but just to let you know. Obviously it is not recommend to enabling auto updates on the testing channel but at least then you can get to running the latest code for the time being; if you aren’t already that is. Also you can update all other packages (on either channel) via the flashing icon to the left of the “Linix-…” text in the top right of the header (Thanks to @Flyer) (it will only appear if other updates are available).

What version is currently showing in your Rockstor Web-UI in the top right?

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thank you. I will try these actions at my earliest opportunity.
My system is a home NAS on an cable ISP router. I have not experienced any issues with interactions and posts.
I have tried many NAS both proprietary and open-source. They have their various strengths but Rockstor looks to be the most usable and straightforward. I need only a simple LAN fileserver. I hope I can continue with Rockstor.

I obtained this immediately after attempting to activate, as you instructed. I am running Rockstor 3.9.1-0 on a Dell minitower with 4GB. Rockstor is installed on an external USB drive as described in the log. The log repeats this same block of text for more than 600 lines.

[05/Jul/2017 19:43:27] ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:360] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Sandisk_Ultra_A2005543B4462B06-0:0. rc = 1. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org’, ‘’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Sandisk_Ultra_A2005543B4462B06-0:0: Unknown USB bridge [0x0781:0x5581 (0x100)]’, ‘Please specify device type with the -d option.’, ‘’, ‘Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary’, ‘’, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 358, in _update_disk_state
do.name, do.smart_options)
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/smart.py”, line 320, in available
[SMART, ‘–info’] + get_dev_options(device, custom_options))
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/system/osi.py”, line 115, in run_command
raise CommandException(cmd, out, err, rc)
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Sandisk_Ultra_A2005543B4462B06-0:0. rc = 1. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org’, ‘’, ‘/dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Sandisk_Ultra_A2005543B4462B06-0:0: Unknown USB bridge [0x0781:0x5581 (0x100)]’, ‘Please specify device type with the -d option.’, ‘’, ‘Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary’, ‘’, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]

@shabinet OK so given your logs are full of the S.M.A.R.T probe logging that would be good to address initially. Mostly harmless but easy enough to address. If you take a look at the docs section on Disk Custom S.M.A.R.T Options you will see the example there addresses the Sandisk Extreme which, for the time being, exhibits the same behaviour from smartctl ‘under the hood’ as you are seeing with this ‘Ultra’ model. If you follow that example and add a “-d sat” as custom option to your SanDisk_Ultra it should quiet your logs down some. Then we can more easily see any other activity. This option, on that model, won’t unfortunately grant access to smart info (as it does with the Extreme) as I don’t believe it’s actually available with Ultra model but it will at least calm the probe logging down.

Which means you are essentially on the latest available code anyway so we don’t ‘just yet’ have a critical issue on the code update front. We just need to get you over the ‘holiday period’ as this issue may well be related to a ‘backend’ issue that is more in the realm of @suman. Re the announcement post for 3.9.1:

Lets just see if there’s anything obvious to address or any more info once those smart log probe entries are appeased.

Hope that helps.

OK. I reinstalled Rockstor on a different external USB flash drive, a PNY model, and after failing to activate, I entered the -d sat argument in the disk section, and attempted another activation. Here is the calmed log after that. Because your forum system takes a dim view of postings of URLs, I have changed the reference to smartmontools to mayonnaise, to avoid throwing that issue.

CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info -d sat /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_2.0_FD_AA00000000013339-0:0. rc = 2. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, mayonnaise’, ‘’, ‘Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode’, ‘’, “A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more ‘-T permissive’ options.”, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]
[06/Jul/2017 21:02:32] ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:360] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info -d sat /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_2.0_FD_AA00000000013339-0:0. rc = 2. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, mayonnaise’, ‘’, ‘Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode’, ‘’, “A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more ‘-T permissive’ options.”, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]
File “/opt/rockstor/src/rockstor/storageadmin/views/disk.py”, line 358, in _update_disk_state
CommandException: Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info -d sat /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_2.0_FD_AA00000000013339-0:0. rc = 2. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, mayonnaise’, ‘’, ‘Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode’, ‘’, “A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more ‘-T permissive’ options.”, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]
[06/Jul/2017 21:03:45] ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:360] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info -d sat /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_2.0_FD_AA00000000013339-0:0. rc = 2. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, mayonnaise’, ‘’, ‘Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode’, ‘’, “A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more ‘-T permissive’ options.”, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]
[06/Jul/2017 21:05:21] ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:360] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info -d sat /dev/disk/by-id/usb-PNY_USB_2.0_FD_AA00000000013339-0:0. rc = 2. stdout = [‘smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)’, ‘Copyright © 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, mayonnaise’, ‘’, ‘Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode’, ‘’, “A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more ‘-T permissive’ options.”, ‘’]. stderr = [’’]

@shabinet Hello again. Apologies for not being specific enough in my last response. The work around I gave to ‘calm down’ you logging to help with additional diagnosis pertained to your specific device. Now that you have changed that device we are looking at a different problem. However in checking my ‘from (faulty) memory’ advise with the Sandisk Ultra I have here, it appears that I mis-remembered.

The following is my Sandisk Ultra after adding the “-d sat”:

ERROR [storageadmin.views.disk:360] Error running a command. cmd = /usr/sbin/smartctl --info -d sat /dev/disk/by-id/usb-SanDisk_Ultra_4C531001540117116264-0:0. rc = 2. stdout = ['smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-4.10.6-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64] (local build)', 'Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org', '', 'Read Device Identity failed: scsi error unsupported scsi opcode', '', "A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.", '']. stderr = ['']

However what did work was “-d scsi” at least from the ‘calmed logs’ point of view. I.e. no log entries after pressing the “Rescan” button on the disk page. And do remember that on this device there will be an error if you try to retrieve smart details via clicking on the name as it doesn’t actually support a useful smart command set. The ‘-d scsi’ just enables it to be scanned by Rockstor for it’s capabilities without producing the problematic log entry side effects.

I can’t say if this same custom smart option will do the same for your PNY usb key however, and do note if any custom option is required in the first place of course.

Apologies again for my error.

Note that the custom smart options config page has a link embedded within it to the smartmontools sight where you can look up known required custom options for particular hardware. The Rockstor probe essentially tries (in a currently rather overly zealous manner) to probe the disks ability to accept S.M.A.R.T commands on every disk scan as it is considered important to use devices that support S.M.A.R.T in the first place. Very few USB keys do. Hence I would suggest that the Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 is a far better choice than the Ultra as it does support at least a useful subset of smart - being essentially an ssd -> ‘sata-to-usb bridge’ on a stick (plus it’s crazy fast). We are after all running a full CentOS install with Rockstor as an embellishment / application in an attempt to become an ‘easy to use’ yet flexible appliance.

Hope that helps.

As a related note it is considered best practice to not change any other element of a system under diagnosis while engaging others in that diagnosis. Akin to giving the right advise in the first place of course (on my part) :blush:.

Let us know how you get on.

Philip your note about not changing while under diagnosis is of course correct. I took a risk in doing so. Because the log was full of lines about the USB drive and nothing else, I thought perhaps that the drive was faulty and wanted to change it.

It is hard for me to see how concern with SMART is well placed when Rockstor reports that the issue is with posting to /api/update-subscriptions/activate-stable . I do not know where /api/ is … I couldn’t find it in the Rockstor system; is this part of the online repo?

@shabinet

The initial aim is simply to calm the logs as otherwise we can’t see whats happening as they are filled with the S.M.A.R.T. that’s all. There may in fact be nothing logged re the registration issue, it’s just easier to see without a flood of S.M.A.R.T info reports.

Hope that helps.

Could my issue be related to what is going on here?

@shabinet Potentially.
We have just had a new stable release so it could just be that required stable channel changes haven’t propagated repo wise. We need more info to help diagnose the issue really. I was assuming the elrepo issue was now sorted though (didn’t experience it myself). Essentially the updates channel selection process, for stable or testing, sets up the appropriate repos. I’m afraid I’m working on another issue within Rockstor currently so can’t look further right now. But our stable and testing code are essentially aligned directly after a stable release until the next testing release is issued. As yet there haven’t been any.