Urgent help needed! I changed all rights to root by accident

Brief description of the problem

Rockstor unable to start due to wrong rights on root filesystem

Detailed step by step instructions to reproduce the problem

unfortunately I changed owner in root filesystem and all subfolders to root. Now rockstore is unable to start anymore. No BTRFS mounts of my pools and shares :frowning:
What do I have to change to fix it or is it possible to install the server again to get access to my data on the disks=

Web-UI screenshot

not available

Error Traceback provided on the Web-UI

not available

@anborn Welcome to the Rockstor community.

Oops.

That would be a lot.

Yes. But to be safe I would disconnect all data drives before you attempt this. That way you canā€™t accidentally select the wrong disk. See the Reinstalling Rockstor howto in the docs.

If you had any Rock-ons installed you are probably best to start a fresh Rockons-root subvol this time. If you select all the same shares as before, once your done with the pool import that is, then each rock-on should pickup from where it left off.

Incidentally, in later versions of Rockstor we have removed the ā€˜rootā€™ subvol to make this mistake a little harder to stumble upon.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot Philip!
I now have access to my data again :slight_smile: pool Import worked great, I had to do some configuration work afterwards, but at the end all Rockons are back and work like expected (I only have Plex and MariaDB installed for now)

best regards
Andreas

@anborn Thanks for the update and glad your now sorted again.

And given there was no mention previously of a config backup you might like to get one of these done and downloaded onto a desktop.

See the following doc entry on this:
Configuration Backup and Restore

Also note that there are continual improvements made to this facility so make sure you are running the latest Rockstor version available within your chosen update channel.

And itā€™s as well to take another config backup whenever you see a changelog entry that has improvements in this area. That way your more recent config backup files will have the additional info included.

So best not use that ā€œrootā€ subvol this time I reckon. This was removed in our more recent Stable Channel updates as it was just not appropriate to have it ā€˜surfacedā€™ in the first place. We now only surface the ā€˜homeā€™ which often has limited use on a NAS anyway.

Hope things go more smoothly going forward.

yes I had a config backup on my Desktop, but is was from the beginning of 2018, so I decided not to use it. I have only configured a few users and groups and fileshares with samba, nfs and AFP, so no big issue to set it up from the scratch.
For the future I will do a configuration backup more frequently :wink:
Iā€™m looking forward to teh future of Rockstor, especially on open SuSE or CentOS 8.

@anborn Re:

Yes me too. But note that our focus is on moving over to an openSUSE base. We are currently too small a team to have to support so many distro variants. So once we have feature parity we are intending to concentrate wholly on only openSUSE releases. That way we inherit their btrfs maintenance/expertise and grub tweaks to boot to a snapshot etc. This is important given RedHat (main sponsor to CentOS) never had btrfs as anything more than a tec preview, didnā€™t update it, and then dropped it from even tec preview status. Where as openSUSE (main sponsor SUSE) uses it by default for their systems (SLES included) and so has a vested interested in itā€™s health and curating backports etc.

All in good time and this is definitely an ongoing process. But @Flox in particular has been working on improving the config backup and restore to ease folks moving from our CentOS offering to the very much in process ā€œRockstor built on openSUSEā€ offering.

Hope that helps to clarify our plans but as always these things take a lot long than one hopes. And we want the move to be as seamless as possible. Essentially what you have just done but with improved config backup and restore and a far simpler and much faster image based installer on the ā€œbuilt on openSUSEā€ side.